1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Multiple Personality Disorder

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Sean Adams, May 22, 2008.

1. Sean Adams

Sean Adams LawnSite Gold Member

I was reading a book last night about the power of the human mind. The focus of the book was how anyone any time has the ability to actually train themselves (due to the amazing power of the human brain) to do just about anything they want.

One of the examples used in the book to show the actual power (and mystery) of the human mind was the case of people who suffer from Multiple Personality Disorder.

The book says that there have been actual medical studies done where people with this disorder were not only able to change their personality, but their physical state as well. Examples include...

The changing of eye color from one personality to another...

One personality being allergic to orange juice and another not being allergic....

One personality being drunk, and the other being completely sober....

I even read that there were extreme cases where people with this disorder could have one personality with diabetes and another with no sign of the diabetes at all.... another case was where someone would have physical scars or birth marks with one personality and these things would disappear when the other personality took hold of them....

This blew my mind.

I mean, cmon, if the human brain is that powerful, think of the amazing things we are truly capable of.

Have you ever heard of anything like this? Do you know of anyone with multiple personality disorder?

I am still in disbelief...
  2. Supper Grassy

Supper Grassy LawnSite Bronze Member

intriguing, Haven't heard anything of it
  3. Morganic

Morganic LawnSite Member

humpf-ff ..Don't know anyone ..but I am a firm believer that the mind is a truly powerful organ.
  4. grasswhacker

grasswhacker LawnSite Gold Member

It's been around a long time............it's called demon possession. Jesus Christ can take care of that.
  5. bill8379

bill8379 LawnSite Senior Member

I've heard of even crazier stuff then that, ie. parting the Red Sea, Walking on water. Only thing I know for sure is that an amazingly high % of the human race are gullible. Thinking skills are not our strong suite.

Gods, ghosts, gobblins, vampires, werewolves, witches, vodoo, mulitiple wives.... ok that last one is ok:)

I've heard of the eye thing and I don't believe it. Even when I've seen actually video of these so called idiot savants, complete retards except they can play the piano. It does say something about recall ability of the mind as well as compulsiveness but they actually don't play very well.

Most amazing thing I seen was a Buddhist Monk pour gasoline on himself and set himself on fire. He just sat there in flames and after a while fell to the side, briefly catching himself with his arm. That says a lot about the lengths some can go to condition the mind with meditation. But I don't believe in Dr. Jekle and Mr. Hide at least as far as scars and eye colour etc. Personality for sure but nothing physical.
  6. rob7233

rob7233 LawnSite Senior Member

Having been previously in the medical field, I can say this... I have seen people with severe medical past histories as long as your arm and for all intents should have been dead long ago but were still upbeat and positive.

Conversely, I've been surprised at the number of patients that were so anxious and fearful over what were essentially minor procedures or surgeries that died with no apparent complications.

Then there was the story that we heard in a training session of an New York attorney that was so convinced that he had cancer, that he had spent 3 months in the hospital getting every test done known to man, all with negative results.

He had NO Cancer or any other medical issues or problem. He was found and confirmed repetitively to be perfectly healthy and normal.......

He was so convinced he was going to die that they found him dead in the hospital bed the night before they were going to release him. The autopsy results were "inconclusive". We've all heard of stories of the other spouse dying right after the other etc. Yep, The power of the mind !
  7. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

You see people who are under hypnosis that can be told many things, such as the penny placed on someones arm. You tell the person that the penny is red-hot and when you remove the penny, there is a noticeable red spot as the person had thought they were getting burned.

I believe it. I also believe that meditation can help ease a lot of things in my life. On top of that, I try to stay as positive as I can about everything, even when life looks grim. As a result, things really do work out in the end.

" Always follow the whims of the great magnet, how stupid I was to defy him" Hunter S. Thompson, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.

Don't get me wrong, I still believe there are a lot of things that are out of our personal control. I'm not going to turn into Dennis Leary (SP?? the father of LSD) and try to cure cancer by dropping acid and meditating all day.:hammerhead:
  8. CFB

CFB LawnSite Senior Member

It's not demon possession.

But it is real.

It starts at a point during abuse where the mind cannot take what they are going through, literrally. So it splits. The other identity's know each other but are completely different from one another. Still the core personality is who the person is and it is hard to integrated them back to the core personality. I've seen some amazing paintings from a woman personality that the original person could not paint a lick. Some of them need glasses, others don't. Weird stuff but such a sad state and caused by trauma.
  9. 44DCNF

44DCNF LawnSite Bronze Member

You mean Timothy. Dennis is the actor. Albert Hofmann is considered the father of LSD anyway.
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2008
  10. Pastaboy62

Pastaboy62 LawnSite Senior Member

Watch the movie Sybill. Its about this girl who had 18 different personalities. I watched in psych class and it was real messed up.