1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Municipal Bid, I'm still in shock.

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by EcoGreen Services, Mar 4, 2010.

1. Pro-Lawn&Grounds

Pro-Lawn&Grounds LawnSite Senior Member

Only 12 cuts per year? do they let the soccer fields and what not grow wild during the off seasons?

"Originally Posted by Carolina Cuts
    Commercial Bidding = (translates to) Who will do the most amount of work for the least amount of money...
    No thanks."

Not true at all. My commercial accounts are paying top dollar because they want their properties looking top notch. I love getting commercial accounts. Plus local commercial always leads to the property owners personal properties being added to my route.
  2. reliablelawn

reliablelawn LawnSite Member

Where does one even get access to place bids like these? Obviously I am a very far way from ever partaking in a bidding war like that. I am just curious. Thanks
  3. Dr.NewEarth

Dr.NewEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

Look through the cities web site. Some-times there are clues.

We have bid sites here, where all of the cities, regional districts and the province post their requests for proposals.
  4. Tizzy

Tizzy LawnSite Senior Member

i just bid a muni mowing job. 21 locations for mowing and fall cleanup. i was at 21k for the year. winning bid was 7800
  5. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Dont even get me started. I bid a 28 acre cemetery last week. I estimated 2 8 hour days 4 guys...the lowest bidder was $434 per week (per week is how they wanted it on bid sheet). Most bids came in at $1000-$2000 range. Another well known company bid $768 per week...he said 6 guys, one day 10 hours.

The well known company is (TGLC)
    Posted via Mobile Device
  6. gotta love them two year old posts.
  7. Gilmore.Landscaping

Gilmore.Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

Well maybe we will hear an awnser on how it all worked out
  8. justanotherlawnguy

justanotherlawnguy LawnSite Bronze Member

Why does this even surprise anyone anymore?

Municipal bids have been in the toilet for years, I see the crappiest guys doing all the county property here, and they are all white trash, or all Mexicans using old beat to crap equipment.
    Posted via Mobile Device

BJWLAWNCARE LawnSite Senior Member

How do you guys know what the winning bid is? In my 20 years I was never told who's bid was accepted and what the price was. I generally just ask to be told if I'm not awarded the contract so I can schedule accordingly. I feel its the least they can do if you are taking up your time to give a "free estimate".
  10. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Snyder's Lawn Inc LawnSite Platinum Member

all city bids are open to the public years before so look at last year bid off the low bid then once the new bids are open you can look at the results