1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Municipality Spraying for Mosquitos

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Turfdoctor1, Jul 24, 2012.

1. Turfdoctor1

Turfdoctor1 LawnSite Senior Member

I was out for a walk with my wife, 2 kids and dog this evening, and a city truck pulled into the subdivision. It was driving down each street spraying some sort of a fog into the air. This is the 2nd time this summer that I have seen him. I assumed it was some sort of a pesticide, so I stopped and asked the driver what he was doing.

He said he was spraying for mosquitos, gnats, etc. He said the chemical was Control.

Is this odd to anyone else? Should there not be some sort of notice to the residents? Is that at all effective?

We are dry as a bone as well. Can't imagine the mosquito population is just booming.

2. jad004

jad004 LawnSite Senior Member

Effective? Yes. Probably not the best thing for your lungs though. They spray it every night around here. When we see them coming, we just go inside. We are very dry (Only 0.62 inches for the month of July) but mosquitos don't care about that here.

Yes, they should at least let the residents know about it though. We actually pay for the service. They add $2 a month to our water bill to pay for it.

3. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

4. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

You are so lucky that your municipality does something about vector borne diseases. We have dengue fever here. Health Dept does nothing more than tell people to dump out standing water. Fine and good, except there is tons of standing water in the vegetation that grows year round. I have to wonder if my next mosquito bite is the one that is my last. Treatment of shrubs and trees for "aphids" using a "thrin" is better than nothing.

What is being fogged by municipalities right now probably is a low concentration of either synergized permethrin or resmethrin. Your household fly spray probably has more pesticide in it. The fog treatment is safe as DDT and definitely safer than what used to be used. In another time, Dursban, Dibrom or Malathion were common fogging insecticides. Inhaling one of those three would be problematic.

5. humble1

humble1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from MA

Usually most towns will post notifications in public places like the post office or take out an ad in the newspaper. Each state has dif notification process. You would have very little exposure to thermal fogging as he drove by as long as you were not right by the truck. You can ask the town for msds sheets if you can't find online
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Around here ROW spraying is exempt from notification or sinage. Our state chemical mows the sides of the highways and no signage is required...railroads are exempt as well.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. jad004

Doc,
    I am glad they try to do something about the problem here. We have lots of rice fields here and the skeeter population is huge (in numbers and physical size). We have actually watched them carry small dogs off just after dark. They use to spray Malathion, not sure what it is now.

8. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

These days it is probably a "thrin". Nothing I would get my panties in a bunch over. Thank goodness the Health Dept got slashed. They were not much good for anything. Now, if they were out there treating for mosquitoes and other vectors, my opinion of them would be different.

9. jad004

You have me curious now as to what it is. I'll have to ask. I'm not concerned about it. I will actually vote against our mayor this time because he vetoed the spraying and the council had to over ride him. It cost us a week of spraying though.

At $2 a month for me, if it kills 3 skeeters a year, I'm happy.

10. Turfdoctor1

Turfdoctor1 LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the replies guys.

It just seemed odd. There was so little fog, I couldn't see how it was doing much good. And, it seems like there should be some notice.

I appreciate you guys sharing.
    Posted via Mobile Device