Municiple Owned equipment

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Bunton Guy, Aug 31, 2002.

1. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

I have fond a good deal year after year on municiple leaf vacs. This one company was selling prior to a auction 2 1990 trailer mounted leaf vacs both had 80Hp 4cylinder diesel engines on them I beleive made by American road. They wanted 3,000 bucks for both. Has anyone experienced municiple owned equipment. I dont know the hours on these machines I have seen another municiple owned vac forsale it was a 1985 Salsco diesel...with only 950 hours on it and it looked brand new. Just curious as to how long these units are good for. I figured diesel units are good for 5,000+hours but I thought maybe leaf vacs have extra loads on them thus shorter life ?
  2. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I don't know about the leaf vacs, but my 1963 Ford tractor was once a state tractor. You can still see the orange on the back wheels where the grey paint is pealing off. Its been a great tractor and very sound. Never had any problems out of it. Needless to say, its got a good bit of hours on it.
  3. Rhett

Rhett LawnSite Bronze Member

Wife works for the city and am waiting for the next city auction. Talked with the mechanic and have an idea what I am going to bid on. Last auction one bidder took hame a 84 Mercury Marqui in good shape for $50. A nice scag is coming up and hopefully I can get a deal. So yes municapal sales are worth looking at.
  4. Depends on what it is at what price.

On those vac's check the impellers just to be sure. If they are worn bad, they could cost a pretty penny and unsweeten the whole deal.

The price is right on those though.

I personally would have to go over a mower that was muni owned, but chances are (if they have a good maintenance buget) it would be better than an LCO owned.
  5. Atlantic Lawn

Atlantic Lawn LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Outer Banks NC

I've bought cars,trucks,mowers etc. from State and County auctions. The one thing that really stands out is either they fix every little thing and get great attention (since the repair costs them nothing) or they run the heck out of it and push it aside. If they have good mechanics on staff then they usually fix things, without a good service dept. thing go downhill fast.
  6. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Like LGF said, the maintenance budget speaks volumes about a municipality. I work for a municipality and I talk with the public works guys and the mechanics that work on the stuff. That is best thing that you can do. They can tell you everything about the equipment. My city is tight with the bucks and they get just about every ounce of juice from a piece of equipment before it is canned.
    They have a good maintenance department and daily, weekly, monthly maintenance is done on these machines but they get a tremendous workout. When they start to fail consistently, they are sold or scrapped out for parts.

The thing is that a diesel engine will run for many hours and continue to for a long time but everything else will be worn to the point that it isn't cost effective to repair. Usually, when these pieces of equipment go up for auction the mechanic is done working on them. You have to remember that you aren't buying the maintence department once you pull it from the yard.

I am sure that there are some good pieces of equipment out there that have a little life in them and I am just relating how my city uses equipment.

I'd say talk to the guys that worked on the street with the unit and see what they thought of it. Ask them why its going up. You may get yourself a good deal. Good Luck.