Mushroom Compost

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by SpudsM15, Sep 9, 2005.

1. SpudsM15

SpudsM15 LawnSite Senior Member

What is your take on mushroom compost...
    What do you guys use it for??
    One of my suppliers sells a mushroom compost mixed with topsoil.
    I was wondering if it is good for new seedings over seedings or plantings...

It only cost $5 more than the regular top....

2. Gatewayuser

Gatewayuser LawnSite Bronze Member

I think its worth it, its called super soil at my supplier i even use it to help start lawns. $5 extra for you means $10 extra for the customer, so you get more payup and better results everybody wins.
    Q:By the way do you know what mushroom compost is?

A: Crap :p

3. SpudsM15

Lol, why the hec is it called mushroom composts. Rather than compost???

So it is good stuff.. I should use it for seeding and planting rather than the regular topsoil???

4. Gatewayuser

Almost anything grows great in it I use all the time.
    They call it that because thats what mushrooms are grown in.
    The only thing is if you put in a lawn it might sink because its loose and airy.

5. Turf Troll

Turf Troll LawnSite Member

It depending on the grower is peat moss, hay/straw, sometimes corn cob or hulls of diffrent crops that are waste of the production process for that crop. It is aged turned regularly to gain heat to pasturize and break down the componet materials I believed steamed before going in the mushroom house where it is the growing base of the mushroom spawn . I believe some where they topdress this with a soil to spawn on. After about three to four crops of mushrooms its removed from the house. It comes out "hot" to use directly on something because of the salts. After sitting or turning though the right amount would actually provide nutrients for turf for a year.
    It all varies after it comes out of the mushroom house.

I use as I topdressing to fill in aeration holes while adding organic matter to the soil.
    Or as this year , I have not even a count on new residental devolpments built in my immediate area but many - take most of the topsoil off , build, bring back in two inches after selling the rest generally,seed , 7 heatwaves, only grass is crabgrass dead rye and fescue burnt or just bare spots.
    In those cases one or two inches of mushroom soil because of clay content rototill in and you have a pretty decent soil profile that if you vary the cutting height or skip mowing the lawns will stay green when neighbors dry up and spot. Also you get a carpet feeling when walking on lawn really nice a dense with out thatch build up.

6. SpudsM15

I got this bid on a new construction prop to reseed.
    12300sq ft.
    now your saying lay down 2" of compost then till it in
    thats about 100yds of the soil/ compost! Right?
    Now I try to charge about $90 to spread a yd of soil. I don't think these people will jump on $9000 +4600 after my markup on the compost soil. the say 200 worth of starter mulch, $180 worth of seed, starter fert $70.
    talking about 15k. I highly doubt that they would even consider....
    I'm thinking double aerate put down 50yds rake it in...that total is around 8000...
    Are my calcuations in ball park for this type of job... Of course the bobcat rental fee would be covered by $90 per yd. And I mark up $10 per yd

7. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Mushroom comp here has,animal manures in it like cow and horse and other too.Has straw,organic matter of different kinds and big clumps.If you use it on a new lawn,I would till it in and remove or break up the large clumps and make sure it was not "HOT",steaming fresh stuff.The salts can also cause damage unless they are leached out with age.

8. Turf Troll

Turf Troll LawnSite Member

These are from Penn State Over ¼” recommends tilling in
    ¼” 1,000 sq.ft./ 1 yd, 5k sq.ft./4yds,10k sq.ft./8yds
    1” 1k sq.ft./3yds, 5k sq.ft/15yds, 10k sq.ft/31 yds
    2” 1k sq./6yd, 5k sq./ 31yd, 10k sq. /62 yd
    ¼” 10.5yds
    1” 38.5
    2” 77 yds
    My cost $15 yd + $5=$20, hand spread $20 per yard=$40 per yd
    ¼”- $420 ,1” - $1540, 2” -$3080
    Here is an ad next week

S & A Services
    Lawn Renovation Season
    10,000 sq. ft. lot the service & cost is only
    Soil test & aeration. $ 225.00
    Soil test, scarify surface, aeration, 8 yards mushroom soil
    & spreading, fertilizer, 70lbs seed and back drag. $987.00
    We mow depending on turf conditions
    Call for 2006 mowing estimate

9. SpudsM15

wow that is alot different than my calculations,
    The soil compost is 36 a cu yard....+ tax
    20 to spread a yard of soil???!!!
    I charge 50 to spread a yd of mulch!
    Soil is so much heavier and you have to rake it more than mulch. That and to spread the compost once you have to rake then after you till it your going to have to rake the seed into the soil... So am really overbidding by 3X on a 12k prop 1" 50yds seed and all 7608.00 alone the cost of the soil is almost 2500 bucks... Then rental 250, aeration 200, spraying atleast 150-200, seed at least $210, starter fert 40, starter mulch 200, scalp cut 30. That all adds up to that cost... labor only being $90 per yard

10. Gatewayuser

I charge $70 a yd for mulch (about 30 - 45min) and $80 for topsoil (30-60min)