mushrooms all over, why???

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by MikeA, May 22, 2006.

1. MikeA

MikeA LawnSite Member
    from NJ

I live in NJ

This year my lawn has come in nice and thick but I am getting mushrooms all over the place. What could the cause be?

2. HazyDavy

HazyDavy LawnSite Member

Excessive dampness and decaying organic matter. Nothing to be concerned about. They won't hurt your lawn.

3. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

Maybe the hippies stopped frequenting your lawn :) but seriously, like the other poster said, decaying organic matter : trees, etc. Was this a brand new house with new lawn? It's amazing what you'd find with today's building contractors if you were to dig up a little bit of a lawn from a new house.

4. VWBOBD

VWBOBD LawnSite Member

most people dont know that when mushrooms show up , it is a indicator of good fertilization and good soil quality. keep up whatever you are doing cause it is working. If the mushrooms bother you just spray with a 1:1 mixture of liquid dishsoap (non antibacterial) and water, they should disappear
    , or leave them be, the sun will cause them towilt down. They may be back in the morning though.

5. NattyLawn

NattyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I second that. A lot of fungal activity in your soil is a good thing.

6. MikeA

MikeA LawnSite Member
    from NJ

Thanks for the info. My lawn has never looked this good before and this year I have tons of shrooms. It sounds like it is a good thing so I will let it go. I usually just kick them over when I cut the grass. It isn't a new, it is old but in the process of bringing it back

BTW, this board is great. Being a DIY'er there are tons of people here that provide the info the I need. Now onto my next search.......blowers.

Thanks Again

7. garth1967

garth1967 LawnSite Senior Member

excatly...and probabaly too much shade

8. MikeA

MikeA LawnSite Member
    from NJ

nope, not too much shade. some of the place maybe but others get alot of sun

9. HazyDavy

HazyDavy LawnSite Member

Definately not too much shade. I have mushrooms on sections of my lawn that get sun all day. My lawn looks great too.