Mushrooms every week

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by cphillips0053, Oct 13, 2009.

1. cphillips0053

cphillips0053 LawnSite Member

I have an account that mushrooms keep growing in the same spot every week. Turns out, there was a tree there once upon a time. It was cut down and stump ground.

What are my attack options for this?

2. they usually take care of themselves

3. cphillips0053

Its been going strong for over a year now.

4. Monroe74

Monroe74 LawnSite Senior Member

at this time there is no "cure" enjoy them because they mean you have a very fertile soil.

5. cphillips0053

Couple of ideas come to mind....
    Dig out the soil in the area and bring in new?
    Is there an herbicide to suppress?

6. Neal Wolbert

Neal Wolbert LawnSite Senior Member

Mushrooms don't necessarily mean healthy soil. Most fungi, both good and not so good, like Armillaria, grow mushrooms, that's how they propagate. There must be some wood left where the tree was removed. They could be beneficial mycorrhizal mushrooms too. Put on your fungus detective hat and identify them, then take a photo and let us all know what they are.

Neal

7. grenskpr

grenskpr LawnSite Member

You are dealing with Fairy Ring. The only fungicide labeled for this is ProStar 50, and it only offers suppression,rather costly too. Fairy ring tends to show up more in spring and fall lots of times there will be a darker circle of turf where the old tree is giving off excessive N.

8. cphillips0053

[​IMG]
    I don't think its Fairy Ring. The tree was a small silver leaf maple about 5" in diameter. The mushrooms growing are in a small cluster approximately in the center of where the tree was.

I would but there is a daily stomping ritual going on.
    Very rarely do I get to see them but they want something done.

9. VARMIT COMMISSION

VARMIT COMMISSION LawnSite Senior Member

Looks like a Fairy Ring to me.

10. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

Forget any sprays.
    That's one serious fairy ring.
    And in my opinion that picture you have there is worth sending to your county ag extension agent. :waving:

You're going to need to cut the sod out of that area and then focus primarily in the center of those mushrooms with your digging.
    I'll bet you the stump grinder ground the stump straight down, but didn't do much if anything about grinding away surface-level root flares that occur in a lot of maples close to the trunk area.
    Either that, or he left all his chips in the hole instead of hauling them off. (Hopefully, this is the case!)

In my mind right now, I envision a big truck.....a long chain attached to it.....hooked to a big root mass.
    But, hopefully I'm wrong! :waving: