Mushrooms in Mulch

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by h-man, Aug 5, 2003.

1. h-man

h-man LawnSite Member

Any ideas why there are mushrooms sprouting up in the mulch beds I put in earlier this season. Is there anyway to get rid of these and prevent them from coming back. I treated the beds with preen? Thank you in advance for any help.

2. Harleyman

Harleyman LawnSite Member
    from NY

Stop all the rain, and dry it out. Grows in my stuff all the time.

3. blafleur

blafleur LawnSite Member

Perfectly normal part of the decomposition process, doesnt hurt anything. Will usually go away on their own shortly, but will be replaced by another variety when the decomposition process reaches another stage. I have started warning customers to expect it.

Bryan

4. h-man

h-man LawnSite Member

Thanks Guys!

5. CSRA Landscaping

CSRA Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

Seems like I read an article on this a few months back. Too much wood content and not enough time to cure, I believe is the reason. Need to be careful or you may end up with artillery fungus.

6. h-man

h-man LawnSite Member

CSRA, What do you recommend doing to avoid the mushrooms and artillery fungus? Thank you in advance for your assistance. I would really like to get rid of the shrooms!

7. CSRA Landscaping

CSRA Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

Well, I'm far from being an expert so take this for what it's worth to you. I use cypress mulch, it doesn't seem to be plagued with the problems of the hardwood mulches. It lasts longer, repels a variety of insects, and I like the look of it better most times. Don't know what the availability of it is up there. Hope this helps some.