Mushrooms, thousands of 'em!

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by eruuska, Sep 27, 2005.

1. eruuska

eruuska LawnSite Senior Member

Went to the lawn to spray spots of bermuda grass prior to reseeding, saw a patch about 10 feet square with literally thousands of little mushrooms. Different kinds. Wish I had my camera with me, this was truly a sight to see.

1) Do I want to get rid of them?

2) If so, how?

3) If not, why not?

Thanx.

2. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

eruuska

Medium Lower heat and garlic butter. Be sure not to over cook. The size of the saute pan will depend on the number and size of the mushrooms. Allow enough room to turn the shrooms. Bon Apeti.

3. PetalsandPines

PetalsandPines LawnSite Member

Here in Buffalo someone died eating an "angel of death" mushroom last week. All over the news...That sucks ;) I have noticed a lot of mushrooms in this area that I have never seen before....Tiny tiny white ones and brown ones. Not your average "shrooms"

4. eruuska

Hey Ric,

Thanks for the cooking tip, I prefer mine sauteed with a little onion, and perhaps a little microbrew. :drinkup:

However, this is a serious question. This guy loves his lawn, can't stand even a little Bermuda grass mixed in. These mushrooms are totally unsightly. Would a fungicide be in order? Or what?

5. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

How about Consan 20? It is listed as controlling mushrooms, though I've never tried it.

6. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

eruuska

The truth is I am not a cool season guy, so anything I tell you could be wrong. Mushrooms like cool cloudy days and wet. I am not sure you have been getting those. Everyone is complaining about drought. The history of that propriety might be in order. If there is some decaying organic matter that might cause the shrooms.

7. eruuska

It's very likely an old tree stump just below the surface. The house was built about 5 years ago, and there are some old trees in the neighborhood. If a tree was taken down for construction, and merely ground below the turf surface, that would provide good fodder for shrooms.

8. Garth

Garth LawnSite Senior Member

Mushrooms are a good indicator that something is decomposing under the soil. The thing is, however, that though they are unsightly they are actually good for the lawn because the produce an abundance of nitrogen. Have you noticed how dark green the lawn is around the mushrooms? Fungal fruiting structures release tiny spores that are easily carried on air currents to new sites. When spores reach a favorable place to grow, they germinate and send out long, thin filaments called hyphae. Hyphae decompose wood, fallen leaves, and other organic matter, absorbing a portion as food. A single hypha is too small to be seen without magnification; however, in soil or beneath bark, groups of hyphae are sometimes visible as a mass of white or dark, threadlike growth known as mycelium.
    When mycelium has developed sufficiently, fruiting bodies such as mushrooms can be produced. Fungi generally survive in soil for years and only produce fruiting structures when conditions are favorable, such as after periods of prolonged wet weather.

9. Chris Wagner

Chris Wagner LawnSite Senior Member

Mushrooms can be very unsightly in a nice carpet of turf. As mentioned above, though, it's a great sign of good soil and organic presence. Imagine that, turf also likes good soil and organic presence!?

Depending on your Integrated Pest Management practices, I'd just leave them and clip 'em when I mow. They won't likely be present year round, but will likely continue to grow in the same area.

10. ArizPestWeed

ArizPestWeed LawnSite Bronze Member

The good 'ol days in south Texas , srooms every where .
    And on the island of Kauaii , little ones , very powerful.
    Yes , I'm remembering now