Mushrooms

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cmcfalls, Apr 14, 2001.

1. cmcfalls

cmcfalls LawnSite Member

Have a problem with mushrooms all of the sudden popping out in a flower bed of a new customer I just picked up. Is there a spray or granules I can use to get rid of them?

chuck

2. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

too much water, shade, or wood rotting in there somewhere. use coarse sand, lime, lite urea, till. dave g

3. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I prefer mine grilled! :cool:

4. Skookum

Skookum LawnSite Senior Member

Mmmmmmmm, Sauted with some butter and Burgandy served with a nice Top Sirloin and a baked potatoe.

Flower bed must have some decaying wood matter. Since a mushroom is a form of fungi, then I would imagine there is some sort of fungicide that would kill it, but I am sorry I do not know of one since I have never had this problem.

I would imagine David has the best solution by increasing the condition of the soil to eliminate the problem in the long run.

5. powerreel

powerreel Banned

Mushrooms can be your friends. I wouldn't worry about them in flower beds. I am sure that the flush you are seeing won't last too long nor will it get out of hand with people stubbing toes or doing damage to cars or equipt by backing into giant mushrooms in flower beds!
    http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1472735&a=11886654&p=42605421

6. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

shrooms are a fun-gi ;-> ...they love wet moist areas...& an rotting wood or something breaking down

7. cmcfalls

cmcfalls LawnSite Member

I dont have a problem with it, but customer doesnt want them there. High end residential and very picky, but well paying customer. Will try a fungicide. Thanks

8. steveair

steveair LawnSite Bronze Member

Hello,

Mushrooms are a sign of good, organic soil, which actually means they are a good thing to see.

We usually get a few 'monster' ones in our beds that are located on the back side of the building that is almost always in shade.

I find that they usually come out about this time, which is about right considering this. We have not mulched yet, and therefore all of last years mulch is pretty much decayed, therefore giving a better growing spot for the srooms. I find that after we mulch the bed, they tend to disapear completely, with only a few popping up ever so often.

I take the approach of just pulling them as I see them, as there is not that many. Now, if you have complete mushroom 'madness' and grateful dead vans are pulling up to your site with tye-dyed hippis running around your beds for the harvest, then I would think a fungicide may be needed.

By the way, a lot of top soil supplies mix 'mushroom' compost in with their top soil mix. It is very high in orgainic material. A good thing!

steveair

[Edited by steveair on 04-14-2001 at 08:21 PM]

9. dhicks

dhicks Member

I put a little Tide laundry soap in my whirliebird spreader and that gets the 'shroom gone. Use the regular Tide, not Tide with bleach, or Tide w/ fragrances. Works for me.