Mushrooms

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by clallen03, Jul 4, 2007.

1. clallen03

clallen03 LawnSite Senior Member

Mushrooms popping up in several of my lawn.

Whats can I do to get rid of them? Can a pre emergent stop them from coming back?

Any help will be great.

Thanks

PS. I'll post pics a little later.

2. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

You could try a soil fungicide but it would probably be a loosing battle! Do you live in a wooded area? there is most likely dead tree roots or buried organic material under your soil causing the mushrooms.

3. clallen03

clallen03 LawnSite Senior Member

Is a few pics of these mushrooms.

These are not woody areas.

Mushrooms1.JPG

Mushrooms2.JPG

4. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

IMHO--nothing you can do. Most common when warm dry spell is followed by rain or water. Mushrooms are the reproductive structures and give off powdery airborne spores. The main fungus is much larger and is underground--probably decomposeing organic matter or thatch.

5. ampeg76

ampeg76 LawnSite Senior Member

don't have the kids kicking them, bag when you mow

spores will fly everywhere

6. turfmann

turfmann LawnSite Platinum Member
    from PRM

7. mrkosar

mrkosar LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

is this true? i thought that it is just organic matter decomposing and you have to let it run its course. do you have a study or source that says this? i have always told my customers don't worry about it, just mow them down, and soon enough they will naturally run its course.

8. ampeg76

ampeg76 LawnSite Senior Member

that was just going on some basic mycology, when a mushroom opens its cap, millions of spores come from the gills, thats how spore prints are taken, from slin slices from under the cap(gills)

anyways, i'm sure it helps some, but i will not give you complete controll or anything

cheers

9. vegomatic40

vegomatic40 LawnSite Senior Member
    from 6

Give it a little time and they should be history. I'm pretty sure that no fungicide is labeled for mushrooms and Atlanta's heat will beat up on them pretty badly as well. Just a little patience.