mushrooms

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by RigglePLC, Oct 9, 2013.

1. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Did you ever want to know what causes mushrooms? Well a 30 inch diameter dead elm tree was take out in this area about 3 years ago. Dutch elm disease. Stump ground down to 6 " deep. Low quality topsoil was added. I seeded it a couple of times.
    Mushrooms appeared after a good rain about the first week of October.

S3500002.jpg

S3500003.jpg

2. foreplease

foreplease LawnSite Bronze Member

Phew! Those are specimen quality :)

3. Greyst1

Greyst1 LawnSite Senior Member

Decaying wood causes mushrooms. Poor stump grinding, blame the stump grinder guy.

4. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

I get those a lot in my forest lawns and I've discovered that it is best to remove the fruiting bodies quickly because they kill the grass and leave bare spots if they get to sit for very long... they are living throughout the lawn where ever rich sources of OM are found but they usually only fruit once in the same spot... (speaking only from experience on that)... :)

5. cpllawncare

cpllawncare LawnSite Silver Member

I was told to never mow then over, you'll only carry them to the next yard? true?

6. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

If they have spores on them then it would be true... the point is however that if the spores got nothing to grow in then they won't be putting up fruiting bodies... yards with dead decaying roots under the soil already have fungi working on them, so I can't think of a single reason why you would worry about mowing over them...

If someone has a reason to avoid running them over with a mower it would be interesting to hear... :)