1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Mushroom's

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by gscone, May 21, 2004.

1. gscone

gscone LawnSite Member
    from NY

Just noticed some nasty 'shroom's popping up on my lawn. What can i do at this point to stop them from coming up? I had the lawn re-sodded last year, if that helps.

GC

2. RjCjR

RjCjR LawnSite Member

Mushrooms are (usually) from something rotting under the lawn. Whether it's an old tree stump you covered up or a little stick, it can produce mushrooms. Plus, when it's nice and rainy/humid like this... you're definitely looking at favorable conditions.

A temporary fix: A bucket of warm soapy water (some dish soap)
    A permanant fix: Dig up whatevers rotting :-(

If the mushrooms are in an arc or circular pattern: it's fairy ring
    get a fungicide and aerate regularly.

These are just my recs.

Rich

3. James Cormier

James Cormier LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ma

Mushrooms are the flowering body of a disease, usually a good sign of natural things happening in the soil.

4. Doster's L & L

Doster's L & L LawnSite Senior Member

i'm noticing the same thing here on my lawn. gscone, are they small and offwhite-brownish?

Does anyone know if they will suck up Nitrogen? i've noticed my lawn to be a duller green than what it usually is.

5. gscone

gscone LawnSite Member
    from NY

Doster's....the 'shrooms are a somewhat brownsih color. I've not had any for the past few days because I've been mowing higher and limiting the water the lawn has been getting.

GC

6. robertsturf

robertsturf LawnSite Bronze Member

Kick them over. Dead decaying wood under the ground that has become wet from rain. Don't waste your money on a fungiscide.

7. RjCjR

RjCjR LawnSite Member

nobody's believing my warm soapy water method?!

8. Doster's L & L

Doster's L & L LawnSite Senior Member

RjCjr,
    Will the soap not kill the grass? When i was a kid, i had one of those "tornados" that kids make with a 2 liter bottle with water and dish detergent with some Al foil. I kinda had a green thumb even as a kid. I grew some watermelons from seed and were getting pretty big. I got lazy one day cause i wanted to play rather than drag the hose all the way over to water the plants. I noiced the "tornados" and used that on them. Later they died.
    Surely grass won't be different from the watermelons??

9. RjCjR

RjCjR LawnSite Member

A (little) dishsoap w/ warm water won't kill a grass plant.

now something stronger, floor cleaner, **** n span type stuff would.

Honestly guys, I've done this and have told probably 20-30 customers to do it and i've never seen any damage occur.

Rich