Mushy and muddy wall base

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by lawnkid, May 3, 2007.

1. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

I have a quick question maybe you guys can answer. I'm installing that Versa -Lok Mosaic wall system right now and we spent all day Tuesday digging with the trackhoe and moving piles back. Anyways... after excavating out some old braintile and sprinkler lines, a decnt amoun of water went into our trench. Some areas's had 1", some had 4-5". Rented a trash pump and got most of the water out but it's still really mushy and wet. Mushy like when you step in it, your whole boot sinks 3-4". Would should I do? Was thinking about digging it all out but wouldn;t the water just seep down as I'm digging. Or my other thought was to throw down some 1-4" recycled aggregate so that it'll stiffen up. Then spread a smal layer of 411 to get level, then geotextile, then compacted base? Any suggestions.

2. chris638

chris638 LawnSite Member

Never build a wall on a wet floor. Either let the water soak into the dirt and then excavate, wait for it to dry, or pour a little bit of portland cement on it and let it sit over night. The portland cement will soak the water out and then you could dig it out the next day.

3. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

Things like this happen, pita. We normally dig it out so we can get started. Like mentioned never build on it though.
    Mike

4. STL Ponds and Waterfalls

STL Ponds and Waterfalls LawnSite Bronze Member

We use bags of lime to soak the water up if needed. It's cheaper and lighter (save your back) than portland.

5. ChampionLS

ChampionLS LawnSite Bronze Member

UGH.. why would you want to put Portland on it??? Portland is expensive, and then all you'd have is a solidified mass of crap with soggy soils all around it. Use a post hole digger and dig a series of small holes. Get a old soda bottle or something that will fit into the hole and drill some holes it in. You can use a electric boat bilge pump and run it off your loader/vehicle/jump pack/battery charger and drain the trench easily. It it's a lot of water, and you have power available, use a small fountain pump and drain it that way.
    Don't build anything on mush. Wait till its mostly dry.

6. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

Well we figured out what the problem was. Sprinkler lines has some leaks and since it was the lowest draining point it all accumulated there. So we pumped all the water out and used water bottles to get the rest out and let the hole sit for a while. Well the next morning it was somewhat filled again. So we started pounding in 1's and 2's in the area and built up a solid base about 16" thick before we compacted another 12" of 411 limestone on top. Long process but I think we came out with a winner. I was tolde by others in the area that this would be the best option so we went with the larger stones to stabilize the soil a little and then we put our base on top. We laid down our geotextile and we're ready to finisih compacting the rest of the base and start laying block finally.