Music while cutting

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by kjk05006, Mar 30, 2008.

1. kjk05006

kjk05006 LawnSite Member

Does anyone listen to music as they cut? I would like to but I'm afraid that I will damage my ears. I was thinking of using in ear headphone under my regular ear protection. What do you all think?

2. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

Nearly all the time. I use noise blocking earbuds, I think they have a NRR rating of around 25, they work wonderfully, I can listen to music without cranking the volume. I usually listen to audio-books.

3. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

I asked in the other thread, but I'll ask here too, whats the name of your company?

4. Ed Ryder

Ed Ryder LawnSite Senior Member

You're very smart to be concerned about hearing loss. I think you should forget about trying to listen to music while mowing.

I used just ear muffs to protect my hearing. It wasn't enough and a loud back-up machine that I hadn't operated in a long time got my ears ringing non-stop. I was losing sleep. Day after day. Night after night. Non-stop ringing. It was making me very unhappy.

Finally I visited an ear nose and throat doctor. Ear wax was partly to blame, but more than a year after that doctor visit, my ears are still ringing, though it is nowhere near as bad.

It's called "tinnitus" and it can ruin your life.

Tinnitus is much worse than hearing loss -protect your hearing. It's the smart thing to do. I recommend using ear plugs and ear muffs. Minimize noise exposure.

5. jhakarter

jhakarter LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

I almost always listen to music when cutting, unless its spring or fall cleanups when i keep getting on and off the machine to dump as the cord sometimes gets in the way. I usually just turn the sound to what it would be w/o the machine running and then start, sometimes hard to here the music but it gets the job done, I was however wondering how noise cancelling headphones worked. BOSE has some but there like 200 bucks. Anyone else try a different pair that work good but arent 200?
    Josh

6. mngrassguy

mngrassguy LawnSite Silver Member

I can tell if my blades are dull or other problems starting by the change of pitch but I doubt I could with music on

7. Reassurance Property

Reassurance Property LawnSite Member

Husqvarna has some digital headphones for around $100. They work great, you don't have to have them very loud, you can still hear the equipment. and with the digital tuner you don't lose the station. I really like it because you can listen to your local stations and get your weather reports. Don't know about you guys but storms come out of nowhere here in MN.

8. Macdiesiel

Macdiesiel LawnSite Member

Ed Ryder I have heard of this .My ears are getting bad.I wear ear plug and muffs.My wife thinks I should start learning sign. How can I keep this from happening to me or loosing my hearing completely

9. delphied

delphied LawnSite Silver Member

I used Peltors last year and they didnt protect my hearing. This year I just got Westone um1 noise blocking earphones. I plan to put muffs over these for better protection. Check out earphonesolutions.com

10. lostmdboy

lostmdboy LawnSite Member

I have a pair of head phones that block out 35dbl. So I can listen to my Ipod at the same time. Just makes the work go by a little faster, and protects my hearing at the same time.