1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Music while mowing

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by xtremelawn, Jan 28, 2008.

1. xtremelawn

xtremelawn LawnSite Member
    from USA

Does anyone listen to music while the are mowing? I have tried many different music players. The main problem is the head phones. It is hard to hear the music over the equipment. Does anyone have any ideas?

2. MowHouston

MowHouston LawnSite Bronze Member

I had an ipod nano that I used to listen to for a short while before I lost the damn thing. It seemed to work fine, but I've only got a 21" mower. Maybe not as loud?
  3. Indy Kyle

Indy Kyle LawnSite Member

We have noise cancelling headphones. They are around 50 bucks a set but they work great. We got them at Menard's but i dont know if you have those in Texas. If not try Home Depot or something.
  4. F Y P M

F Y P M LawnSite Member

I use full size headphones from home depot they are called worktunes. Only drawback with them is they are hot in the summer, but at the same rate are warm in early spring and late fall. Radio is am/fm stereo and they do cancel out alot of the noise of the machines but the longer you use them you will get used to hearing the machine.
  5. razor1

razor1 LawnSite Bronze Member

BUCKEYE MOWING LawnSite Bronze Member

7. grass-scapes

grass-scapes LawnSite Bronze Member

I advise against music while working. You can't hear what you need to hear going on around you. I about saw a trimmer man from another LCO about get hit by a city bus because he stepped out and didn't hear the horn on the bus. That driver was pissed.

Anyway, if you MUST, get the Shure headphones. they aren't noise cancelling, they are noise BLOCKING. They have the same noise reduction rating as my earplugs. I have a set of them and they do an excellent job. I DO use the headset they make for my phone and it does very well.

I think you can buy the headphones at Best Buy for 99 bucks. Don't get the cheap imitations, they don't block out the noise.
  8. Turf Dawg

Turf Dawg LawnSite Gold Member

I have several types of headphones and hate them all. What I found that works best for me is a little walkman raido or an ipod. I use the little walkman most so I can listen to the Ticket {P1}. I buy the ear phones that are foam like the ear plugs, think they are called marshmellows, and run the cord under my shirt. These seem to block out alot of noise so you barely have to have the volume up also I can wear the big brims hat to block the sun.
  9. hackitdown

hackitdown LawnSite Silver Member

I have used WorkTunes for the past 3 seasons. They work well for me. I can still hear what is going on around me, but everything is quieter. I give them to the helper to use also, they seem to appreciate them.
  10. Frue

Frue LawnSite Bronze Member

ipod with wrap around the ear headphones with stihl phones over top. works great