music while working

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Mark B, May 1, 2008.

1. Mark B

Mark B LawnSite Bronze Member

Aight this might go over the old folks head LOL... But one of the best things I have bought was my Ipod Nano. I have found myself using it all the time while working. If I don't have it with me I have my dewalt radio with me.

So what kind of music do you guys listen to IF you use a Ipod while working.

You kind find all types on my IPOD anywhere from hip hop to old school rock.

2. farmerkev

farmerkev LawnSite Member

Not in irrigation, but I have about 9 hrs of country on an I-pod shuffle.

I never would have bought one, but got it as a gift, and I LOVE it!

3. Mark B

Mark B LawnSite Bronze Member

Well for me and a slight case of ADD it works out for me. It keep my rocks from wondering. I have a clase for it to help keep it dry.

4. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

Ferengi limericks and Klingon Funeral Dirge's

5. Ipods, Nanos, Dewalts music in general are a big no no on the job site. Be a PROFESSIONAL. If I was a customer and looked out the window and saw some clown listening to his IPod while working I'D BE PIZZED. When you work for somebody you owe them all the facilities you have to do the job INCLUDING YOUR HEARING. Driving in the truck it's okay.

6. The next time I hear somebody claiming they need the music for their ADD, well never mind, seems that is the new line to justify listening to music while working. I've heard it at least 10 times. Is their a website for sympathy lines to justify unprofessional behaviour?

7. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Im with ya 100% there. I hate the radio on at a jobsite. My guys think Im a hardazz for it . Yrs ago when I used to frame houses, staging broke with a guy on it. He was hanging screaming and no one heard him because of the radio. After we got him down I threw that radio into the woods. Needless to say no one said a word about it.

8. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

If no one's looking, I like to listen to a baseball game. Don't like ear buds very much - safety issue.

9. irrig8r

irrig8r LawnSite Platinum Member

Depending on the job, how mobile I have to be, what else I'm carrying, whether customers are home or not, sometimes I'll pull out my DeWalt radio.

I tend to listen to classic rock, NPR, baseball games, and local talk radio... depending on my mood...

Can't stand cords or earphones...

10. WalkGood

WalkGood LawnSite Bronze Member

Read this: http://www.workplacedoctors.com/wpdocs/qdetail.asp?id=1297

Personally, I think listening to music is better for the worker. As long as the listener can also hear co-workers and alarms. And that the music does not interfere with those around you, whether that be co-workers or homeowners.

But I do think that talk-radio (such as but not limited to How-weird Stern) programs are too much of a distraction. Straight music especially instrumental does not require "primary" concentration skills.

With all due respect, digging holes and other irrigation tasks is not brain surgery. And even brain surgeons listen to music during operations.