1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

musical chairs

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by sheppard, Sep 8, 2001.

1. sheppard

sheppard LawnSite Senior Member

Afternoon everyone, have a question. I currently have a Snapper 36'. See the need to get a 52' ZTR soon. Do not have room in my trailer for both. Thinking of trading down to a 33' WB on the Snapper. Would rather keep my trailer if possible (in sted of buying a bigger one). Does this sound like a good idea? Not many choices out there for commercial 33'. Playing mix and match with what makes the best logistical (trailer space) and productive (equipment) sense.

Currently I have one large account that would more than make the payments on a ZTR. 25% of my residentials have a fenced back yard. Lots of accounts have slopes and undulating hills.

2. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

If you don't plan on getting a bigger trailer any time soon, I would say trade down the mower to make room for the ZTR. But then you said how all your yards are fenced in, you may miss those couple of inches if their big.

Anyway, 33 feet is still a huge cut, and with your ZTR cutting 52 foot swath's, you should be able to cover some acerage!!

(I had to joke ya a bit........ ' = foot ......... " = inch )

Hope this helps!
  3. Double D

Double D LawnSite Member

Not trying to be a smarty pants, but how does trading down 3" on your walk behind make room on your trailer for a ZTR? The 33" mowers have not had a good reputation on this board. I can speak from experience, that the MTD 33" wide-cut mower (Troybuilt, Whites,Cub Cadet, Craftsman) is not a mower that you will want to use very much. I had one (just sold it-woohoo), and it will wear you out compared to a commercial unit. It also will not stand up to a beating day in and day out. I have never seen the Stealth, but many on here have posted similar findings. Good Luck.
  4. sheppard

Not a problem double d- any advice is good advice when I'm needing it. Some of the 33" WB's I've seen are considerably smaller than my Snapper 36. I'd rather not get another trailer, but I'd also rather not make a buying mistake on mowers. Leaning toward a Wright Stander 52". Can't do that and my Snapper 36.

5. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

How much more room do you need? It isn't to hard to extend a trailer 6" to a foot in the front.
  6. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

I agree with Eric, add to the front of the trailer or build a shelf and some ramps to put the wbh above the ztr

l wbh goes here
    l front wheels ztr goes here
  7. Nice engineered drawings cantoo.
    Guido roltflmao!
    Wouldn"t this be called 'Musical Mowers'
    I don"t know if making your trailer 6' more in front is a good idea yet.

What is you trailer size? I think it will be much easier to help knowing that. Give the L X W

8. wallzwallz

wallzwallz LawnSite Senior Member

is it length or width your short on? isn't a 6' x 12' trailer about$1000 new in your area? whatwould the 33" wb cost you?
  9. Grass_Slayer

Grass_Slayer LawnSite Member

i figure going with a used 6x16 trailer is cheaper than even trading down to a smaller mower. even if u do get a bigger trailer u still wont have enough room. i have an ancient gravely wb and a 2001 cub cadet zt on a 6x16 trailer. even with a big weed eater rack and a toolbox in the front there is still stuff layin everywhere:confused:
  10. sheppard

I have a 6.4 by 10 ft trailer. 2.2 ft of the 10 ft section is covered for a gas/misc. rack. Ideally I'd like to stick a WB here so a large ZTR could sit in the back.