Must be money in mobile car detailing

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by pjslawncare/landscap, Apr 29, 2004.

1. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

Im in this la tee da golfing comunity mowing two of my accounts this morning when I see this nice truck & trailor go by. At first I couldnt figure what service they were (power washing, carpet cleaners, what?) then they pull into this drive across the street from where Im mowing and start detailing this BMW sitting in the drive. I was there for over an hour after they got there and they were still there when I finished and pulled away. There were two guys and looked like some nice equipment. I just have to wonder how much these services charge. I think its a good idea, they come to you to detail your car.

2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

that is a good idea. Smart business men there. The only problem is that to make sure the customer has a garage in case it rains.

3. launboy

launboy LawnSite Senior Member
    from indiana

so then they use your water and electricty?
    water=wash the car
    electricity=car vac
    what else of yours would they have to use?
    itsounds like a hell of an idea

4. jcr_17

jcr_17 LawnSite Member
    from Texas

I was kind of in the same situation one time when I was at a customer's house and a crew drove up to power wash the fence and get all of the grime off of it. I started talking to them and they said they charged 100.00 dollars for the section they were doing. I started telling myself that I was in the wrong business because these guys are making quick money. After I thought about it I realized that they are making a one time 100.00 dollars whereas, I come each week year after year and rake in a lot more than 100.00. Just my two cents.

5. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

Actually, I saw a plastic tank on the front of the trailer, and they pulled off a gas power washer. Dont know what they used for vacuum. I wish now that I stopped and chatted a little with them. I got to thinkin about it after I saw them.

6. Doster's L & L

Doster's L & L LawnSite Senior Member

I think powerwashing pays fairly decent, but i would NEVER EVER get in that business. My buddy tried to get in that line of work last year and once i half way helped him out on an occasion. I had MUCH rather be out in the hottest heat on a lawn mower than to stand in one spot pressure washing for a half hour then finally get to move down a little bit and do it all again. To add another thing, you're getting all frikkin wet!! I think power washing is worse than assembly line work. It sucked BAD!!

I actually had thought about getting into the mobile detailing business before. I think there's a market that needs to be filled in this line of work. It is lots more convenient than having to drive the car to the garage and have to go pick it up. Even if the guys picked it up after they clean it, on the way home, they could throw up some more dust on the car again. I think those guys are in a good business.

7. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

my buddy works in a detail shop and they've got a mobile detail unit. they bring all the water and supplies, the customer leaves the cars out in the driveway. it takes 2-4 hours for each car and they charge about $200 and up dependin on the size of the vehicle.

8. branchboy

branchboy LawnSite Member

Does anyone know where to purchase the pump that goes on the plastic tank? If that goes out, the whole operation is shut down.

9. whiffyspark

whiffyspark LawnSite Fanatic

You can gravity feed. It depends on how you're set up and what you're feeding.

And yes there is stupid good money in it. Especially power washing.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. Chris_NC06

Chris_NC06 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Sanford, NC

That's cheap. I know a few guys in the detailing biz. They can get well over $1,000 to do a full paint correction, interior detailing, engine bay cleaning and wax on some of those exotic cars.