MUST HAVE essential EQUIPMENT

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Kenb2920, Mar 5, 2014.

1. Kenb2920

Kenb2920 LawnSite Member

OK, BESIDES: Truck, trailer, mower, string trimmer, edger and blower.

What do you find as essential equipment you could not do business without for lawncare. What items are in your checklist.

2. aaronmg

aaronmg LawnSite Senior Member

What services are you offering? just mowing?

3. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

routing scheduling billing software

Im not sure I understand the clip board guys… its 2014

I think standard shop tools (wrenches etc) goes in the "besides" category.

Excel. word. Laptop.

Im going to stick my neck out and say iPhone.

I HATE hate HaTe cell phones ( I preferred business when you worked all day and checked messages at night)

However….I'm not sure how I functioned without this dang apple attached to my hip.

4. aaronmg

aaronmg LawnSite Senior Member

Safety equipment... glasses, hearing protection etc... etc...

5. ROS_Grounds

ROS_Grounds LawnSite Member

Loaded Toolbox!!!
    Air compressor
    Tow rope (ive had my guys literally pull (by hand) my zero out of a soggy ditch)

6. TML

TML LawnSite Senior Member

A good set of sharp hand pruners (I like Felco)
    A good hand pruning saw
    Smart Phone

7. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

Each category of work will require its own must tools.

To work on your stuff an air compressor and an impact gun a blade sharpener and hand tools like sockets and wrenches I would consider must have.

To do hedges I think hedge trimmers would be a must and a spare set then extended trimmers and some ladders and rakes and barrels this would be the minimum to do that type of job.

Mulch is easy but does require wheel barrels and pitch forks and some rakes and shovels.

If you do fert your going to want spreaders and sprayers.

You like getting paid a comp and a printer and some office supply's area a must.

Fall clean ups back packs for every one and a spare or 2 are a must then comes a ground blower and unless you like killing yourself I would say a leaf box and a truck loader are must have.

I consider having a mig welder must have equipment it keeps me in the field and saves me butt a dozen times a year.

8. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping LawnSite Silver Member
    from Maine

I agree with the guys who mentioned support equipment, fixing your own stuff and doing your own pm is a lot better than paying $70 an hour at a shop.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. gcbailey

gcbailey LawnSite Silver Member
    from WV

There's a lot of good stuff listed that we couldn't live without, but again, depends on some specifics of the job too. For one, I wear contacts, so safety glasses are a MUST. Also, we started using Quickbooks about 4 years ago and that made life sooooo much easier for us and the accountant. Out in the field some stuff like fix-a-flat, an air tank, a decent set of tools, spare belts, water cooler, ratchet straps, bee sting kit, rain coat. Our trucks have a 36" under body box on each side and we keep them full of "must have" stuff.

10. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

On-board tools, blades*, Wolfsnouts or facemasks for dusty days, earplugs, safety glasses, WATER, hedge-trimmer, hand-pruner, chainsaw, Felco loppers, bungee straps, spare parts for the wear items on mower(s), etc...

*Blades - various styles and lifts for varying conditions. I carry Hi-lifts, single notchers, 3in1 Gators, G5s, & med lifts.