*Must Read* Customer billing

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by K.Carothers, Jun 28, 2006.

1. K.Carothers

K.Carothers LawnSite Bronze Member

It has been said 1000 times on here but I wanted to say it again in its own thread.

I was billing customers at the beginning of the month for the previous months cuttings.

This method had me holding 10k worth of invoices for 1 month. That amount is hard to float and at the same time pay for your expenses.

I started 2 billing cycles that cover 1 months cuts.

1 is on the 1st of every month and 1 billing on the 15th.

This way, you have income coming in every 2 weeks.

One step better is to collect prior to the months cuttings(I still have not broken into this, yet)

kc

2. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with two billing cycle per month it's nice having money come in twice a month.

3. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

finally someone listens to me! Just kidding. I've been doing this for 3 years now and wouldn't do it any other way.

4. promower

promower LawnSite Bronze Member

At least you have money coming in, my bills are due by the 15th and I still had 2/3 outstanding, to date I still 43 people that have not payed for May mowing. Time to go to credit cards, I considered it at the begining of the year and decided against it, theres no question as to how I will be billing next year. Total BS, and late/non payers are the first ones to cry when your a day late wondering why you havent cut the grass yet when there was a monsoon the day before.

5. K.Carothers

Boy is that the truth!

kc

6. K.Carothers

LOL, Sometimes it takes me 1 1/2hrs to watch 60minutes:hammerhead:

kc

7. quiet

quiet LawnSite Senior Member

I've posted this before and taken a lot of criticism, but it works for me. My start date becomes the customers "billing date" forever. If I start service on the 10th, you get a bill from me every month on the 10th covering the period from the 10th to the 9th. I'm billing somebody every single day of the month, so more importantly, I get checks at my PO box every day. I go to the bank every Saturday.

Having people send me money is what I want. I just mow their lawns in exchange for them sending me money. I like invoicing!

8. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

That is the way to go. You should try to do it with your new customers. I bill everyone in advance now. I figured there would be alot of people that would be leary of this, but really aony about 1 or 2 people a year say they wont do that. Hint Hint::: if they tell you that, its your chance to turn and run.

9. logan

logan LawnSite Senior Member
    from FL

[QUOTE=quiet My start date becomes the customers "billing date" forever. If I start service on the 10th, you get a bill from me every month on the 10th covering the period from the 10th to the 9th. I'm billing somebody every single day of the month, so more importantly, I get checks at my PO box every day. I go to the bank every Saturday.

I also do the same thing. I just started a new lawn last tuesday the 20th. I sent her a bill for june 20th-july19th. She will be sent another bill on july 20th, for july 20th -august 19th. It is a very simple way to bill people. The best way is to ask them if the really need a bill sent to them. Most say no. I make a bill for them, but leave it in the computer.

10. JJLandscapes

JJLandscapes LawnSite Senior Member

i bill once a month and it just works out perfectly

majority come in first week then a good amount the following weeks and the final week the couple scattered checks and people coming to the doors thinking we are angry because they forgot to pay

always have a flow of checks coming in