must read

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Nick R, Apr 6, 2004.

1. Nick R

Nick R LawnSite Member
    from wv

I used my Gravely 48in gear Wb for the first time and I mowed like I was drunk. This is for my home and it is harder than it looks!! Trust me nobody as to worry about me putting them out of business. Man I can't believe how that thing whips you around. I did the flat part better, but about how long will it take to get the hang of it. I was using a 21in Lawnboy before and what a difference. I will gladdy take any tips from the professionals. Thanks Nick
  2. Rhett

Rhett LawnSite Bronze Member

Make sure the air in the drive tires are equal. That will help you atrighten your lines. When you first start with a walk behind mow in second gear tops till that becomes routine. Step it up a notch until you are comfortable at the next and so on and so forth.
  3. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I would suggest to start out at a slow speed. And make sure that you have control of the equipment, not the equipment has control of you. I just tell my past employees to flow with the machine.
  4. Lazer_Z

Lazer_Z LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

Nick R, The way I was taught was 1st, 2nd, 3rd.

1st Gear, 2nd Gear, 3rd Gear and I tried 4th but, 3rd was as fast as I could walk. Then I got a velky that's a learning curve it's tough at first but then you get the hang of it.
  5. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

Practice, practice, practice!!! Watch out for the family cat when learning , too! LOL! Where are you in WV, Nick?
  6. hartlawnmain

hartlawnmain LawnSite Member

The first w/b I got about 6 yrs. ago I was learning/practicing in my backyard. I wanted to see how close I could get to the legs of the swing set...WHACK! Cut it right in half! That tubular steel didn't stand a chance against the Kees!
  7. KL Squared

KL Squared LawnSite Member

Speed is the key to learning. Slow down at first using the lower gears and lower the throttle. You will get the hang of it. Also, becareful making turns they will tear the turf if you go to fast.
  8. Nick R

Nick R LawnSite Member
    from wv

Impact, I live in Clarksburg, but I'm in Morgantown every day. I'm a truck driver and deliver auto parts to Saborton, Mile Ground and University Ave.
  9. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Ditto on the equal air pressure in the tires. Also, especially if it is new, the belts will need to be adjusted after a few mowings. Actually, read the owner's manual, the belts may need to be adjusted right now. If you know a commercial mowing guy, maybe he can look at it for you. I've gotten belt drives from dealers that have been way out of wack.
  10. matthew horner

matthew horner LawnSite Senior Member

my only question: why MUST we read this?