Mustang Skid Steers - familiar?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by GrabRoot&Growl, Apr 3, 2007.

1. GrabRoot&Growl

GrabRoot&Growl LawnSite Member

I have a Bobcat skid steer lined up, but I have also had a few people tell me that they thought they were under powered for what I was wanting to do. So, I checked out some others -I liked the ASV breakout capabilities, it is one honking machine, but scared of the tracks - no go in the sharp rocks, and hear horror stories of costs to fix U/C. (from just about everybody)

The size and brute HP of the Gehl 7810/Mustang 2109? 105hp, with a 41 gpm hi-flow seems to be a monster, but I don't see alot of them in this area. Anyone used one heavily? With new regs just below 100.

Anyone used one with a mulching head? I talked to a friend and he had not used one himself, but heard rumors of overheating when running a mulching head. Any complaints?

Trying to get a demo, but only one small dealer within 100 miles.

2. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

Do a search on this site. More than enough info.

3. 2109 Stang

2109 Stang LawnSite Member

GrabRoot: I own a 2109 but has never use it for what your planning ,so there's not much I can say about that, I don't think that machine is ever going to overheat according to the size on radiator and oil cooler , specially with the blowing system instead of sucking through the radiator so clogging is never going to happen ,I don't know of another machine out there that can come close the amount of power this thing is capable of, so you're never going to overload this engine or hydraulic system ,if you have any other specific question about the machine feel free to ask ,I'll be more than happy to provide you any info.

4. GrabRoot&Growl

Stang 2109 - thank you for the reply. I see your down in florida - I have been down there before working hurricane claims as an adjuster. What kind of force can you exert with this machine? Taking down a 18-24" tree, for instance? I know your soils are different, but where I am located is between a heavy clay soil and just 10 miles to my east, the soils go into a sandy loam over a red clay, the loamy soils being much like what I observed in your neck of the woods. I am talking native trees, not transplanted. Can it take one out and lay it over?

I am sure with a grapple, it can pick it up, I am looking at a job about ten miles from me right on the edge of a river bottom and the change in soils, that will entail removing small oaks, elms, and hackberry trees, but I am planning on laying them over, root ball and all with a blue diamond stump bucket, if necessary and want to know if it will do it, or do I allow in the bid a different machine. I have used a BC S300 and laid some over, but no in this soil - just to the west of me Where Yellow Dog is located, the soils are interrupted with rock and I can get one over pretty easily over there.

I really like the lift height, because I am planning on finding an outlet for some of the larger trees at a local mill/wood cutter.

5. 2109 Stang

GrabRoot I've never try laying down an 18"-24" tree ,but I will assure this ,power wise what ever you can do with a S300 the 2109 will do 4x easier I know a few S300 and had run some of then and it literally feels like you are in a toy machine compare to the 2109 ,not to mention that the ride on the S300 is extremely rough and very tippy ,if I was you I'll take a 2109 for a test drive for a couple of hours and see if it would do what you need

6. GrabRoot&Growl

That is the plan - to demo the machine, but the closest dealer for Gehl is extermely small and won't demo the only machine he has in stock.
    I am calling the Mustang dealer tomorrow, but they are located near 100 miles away. Both options have me a little boogered for service, if it becomes necessary, but I have been putting an old Komatsu 20p dozer back together for years (when it breaks, not if), so i feel if I can get parts, I can fix it.

Have you ever handled an ASV RC100? How does the Stang compare? I am sure the ASV could tackle the job, I just don't want the U/C problems. And I have watched the Gehl/Mustang machines and really like the looks - the local dealer never seems to get one back and he is always taking Cats and Cases in on trades.

7. blackandgold

blackandgold LawnSite Senior Member

Isn't the Geh/Mustang Track machine the same as the takeuci?

8. 2109 Stang

GrabRoot I have never try a ASV but I've heard that it is an animal it has 100hp so it must be ,for my operation the track machine won't do me any good plus I needed all the lifting capacity and reach that I could find and having owned a mustang before ,that decision wasn't to hard to make ,when I got tha 2109 my closest dealer was about 100 miles but that is for every brand living at the end of the world ,you have to go to the main land to get anythig ,but I'd found another dealer some 200 miles away that gave me a $4K better deal than my closets dealer so I grabed it so far I've had no problems with the machine, this things are built like WWII tanks some people had critisize that it is ridiculous overbuilt ,but I dont wanted any less ,I don't mind the extra weight ,just fine for me .

9. 2109 Stang

blackandgold;Isn't the Geh/Mustang Track machine the same as the takeuci?

You are right blackandgold but we are talking about a wheel machine .

10. 2109 Stang

How is this for big skid-steer tires?
    Attached Images