Mustang Skids

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by MowingisMaddness, Nov 27, 2005.

1. MowingisMaddness

MowingisMaddness LawnSite Senior Member

I am thinking about buying a used 2064 Mustang skid steer, but haven't been able to find much info about them. Does any one on here use Mustang skid steers? Opinions? Thanks, aj
  2. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

They're fairly plain jane and service is very limited. I guess it comes down to the service you can get for them and price. The thing of it is, you would be better off buying a Bobcat with a few more hours for the same price as a Mustang.
  3. iowapride

iowapride LawnSite Member
    from Iowa

I own a '02 2064. Love the machine and never had any major problems. Besides scheduled maintenance I think I have replaced a safety switch and the hi/low switch in 930 hours. I have run next to a 2054 and love the extra power and lifting capacities the 2064 has. Mine is for sale now...looking at a track machine. let me know if you have any questions.
  4. miacharger

miacharger LawnSite Member

I still have a Mustang series 1700 that I use at home and it's a great machine, although it's from 1970! Got it used in 1986 and after fixing it up it has served me well since then. Maybe I should get a newer loader..LOL?
  5. vntgrcr

vntgrcr LawnSite Senior Member

I just finished the process of buying a new excavator and looked seriously at the Mustang badged machines. Found out that Mustang is the 2nd oldest skidsteer builder in the states behind Bobcat. Since the fifties I am pretty sure. They seem to be pushing/marketing pretty intensely, at least around here and they are nice machines. Just make sure you have a dealer close by. They have a major warehouse in the midwest that could overnight you parts. THe local Bobcat dealer near me had most parts I needed, but wasn't that great. But they would overnight on what I would need. So, you would be fine.
  6. FosterLawnscaping

FosterLawnscaping LawnSite Member

I have a '90s Mustang 940 and a 68 or so Mustang 1700. the 940 has 2300 hours and the only thing replaced to my knowledge was the seat and shut off pull knob. It's a pretty smooth machine and is still very tight. It will lift a good bit more than what the sticker says too if you do it right. The 1700 has I don't know how many hours and the engine is finally getting tired. Someone is supposed to buy it this weekend but we'll see.
  7. miacharger

miacharger LawnSite Member

Another 1700? I thought I had the only one! Never knew they made them back in 1968, but I really like my 1700, and although it is only used now about 20-30 hours a year it had a lot of use from the concrete company and has been retired to the garage as a home tractor. I have found that although it has the same engine as the m-610 Bobcat the Mustang does lift more, and can turn with more load without stalling. My experience has been good, and it's a rock-solid machine. Most parts that wear are standard bearings, and clutch plates. chains and such. Never needed to go to the Mustang dealer yet.