My 07 Gravely 152M w/XDZ deck review...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by nobagger, May 18, 2007.

1. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

We recently bought an 07 Gravely 152M with the XDZ deck and so far so good. Here are some things I like and dislike...First, very comfortable to operate with suspension seat. We also bought their new bagger kit (dual bags) and aside from its clogging in 8" tall grass the suction power is incredible! It sucked up a semi-truck lug nut damaging my impellers on the blower unit, thankfully only a $80.00 repair. Also the bagger unit is very easy to put on and take off of the mower BUT a PITA to put it together, for the money I spent, the dealer IMO should have put it on the mower for me! The cut it is honestly just like every other commercial mower I have used,(Ive used Exmark, Scag and Toro), it leaves a nice stripe and very even finish even on rough terrain. Maintenance seems like its going to be a breeze (oil changes, belts etc.) The deck seems to clean itself out very, very well with next to no build up. It holds hills quite well and I'm talking hills that are more than the 17 degree slop they recommend staying off of. All in all one of the best investments ever. Now, things I dont care for...First off I think its under powered a bit (23hp Kawi). In my opinion they should offer a 27hp engine or somewhere in that range. The clipping dispersal could be better but again the grass is very tall on return visits. Parts seem to take forever to get delivered, I dont know if this is a dealer or Gravely problem but none-the-less very frustrating. All-in-all if I had to rate this machine on a scale of 1-10 (10 being the best ever built and thoughtout mower) I would give this a solid 8 but time will tell. As of today it only has 48hrs on it in 3 weeks of mowing. I just thought I would share my experience so others can be informed by other means rather than a brochure or a quick demo.

2. Nitro2007

Nitro2007 LawnSite Member

Great review. I just got a 2007 148 XDZ. The one thing I would add from my brief experience is that one other minor PITA thing is that there is no gas guage.

I got mine without the bagger, but I can already see that I will need something. I looked into the Accelerator, but it appears as though they would need to customize something for Gravely's new X factor deck. Would you recommend the Gravely bagger @ $1,700 over an Acclerator? I believe the Gravely dealer told me it was a triple bagger and that it works really well.

What do you think?

3. Espacesverts

Espacesverts LawnSite Member

I have both. 2007 152 m xdz and 2006 148 both with bagger and I would recommand you the bagger with blower. An other thing, I just put double blades on the 148 and WOW its amazing! You should try it. Its a world of difference and with it I don't bag that much with the 148.

4. slbroug

slbroug LawnSite Member

For what it's worth - I just added a mulch kit to my 2005 PM148M, which was new this year (a leftover from a defunct dealership). My mower was delivered in April with doubles and a discharge block plate only, despite asking for the mulch kit. It mowed very well, but reminded me of bailing hay on my Uncle's farm. It left nice straight windrows on every pass. This was clearly unacceptable. After realizing the problem myself and calling the dealer several times, the mulch kit finally arrived 3 weeks later, soI installed it this week. All I can say is that if you mow weekly there is absolutely no need for a bagger when using doubles + mulch kit combination. I save time emptying and also need to fertilize less frequently. I have no axe to grind with folks that like to bag, it's just not my preference. I would expect that the XDZ deck mulches even better since it is an improvement over the older deck design that I have. Lastly, the delivery of parts is the weakest part of the Gravely ownership experience. It may be because of parts order consolidation by the dealer though. Are you listening Gravely?

5. MOturkey

MOturkey LawnSite Silver Member

I have about 75 hours on my 260XDZ now, and agree basically with all you said. We've had an extremely wet summer, up to now, at least, and I was able to mow in conditions that would have been a royal PITA with my 2002 250Z that I owned previously. I've stopped several times thinking I'd surely need to scrape the deck, look underneath, and find very little to no buildup. I'm sure that is partially due to it being new, with a slicker finish, but this new XDZ deck just seems to self-clean much better than the older designs.

About the only thing I don't like as well as on the old one is the location of the fuel cutoff. A very minor detail, but panel on the older machines was out flush with the seat support, the new one sets back in so that you can't actually see it while seated, so you have to actually stick your hand down there to see which tank you have it on unless you raise up off the seat.

I also agree a fuel gauge would be nice, but my older mower didn't have one either, so I don't think much about it. I generally mow with one tank until it is about half full, then switch, so I have considerable reserve if I empty one tank.

I also have the hydraulic deck lift, which I also had on the previous mower. Well worth the money, IMO.

Also, I don't know if yours is set up this way or not, but the dealer sets the reverse painfully slow, as per Gravely specs, I suspect. First thing I did when I got home was back the screws out some, so you can move faster in reverse. Limiting the speed for a beginning operator is probably a good thing, but it drives me up the wall to have to creep backwards.

As for the parts thing, I haven't had to have that many parts ordered through the years, but I don't recall anything taking more than a couple of days. Of course, my dealer is super, and keeps virtually all of the common items in stock.

I also love the heavy duty air cleaner. My old mower was the last year before they switched. I've been mowing some extremely dusty properties the last couple of weeks. New houses with sparse grass growth. It is nice to not have to worry about plugging up the smaller air filters on the older mowers.

6. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

The fuel Gage that exmark has sucks. the one that hustler has is alot better"line in the tank" tell gravely thats the one for you.

Please let us know about the deck keeping clean in about 100 to 200 hours. new paint will keep the deck clean but i think gravely is on to something.:waving:

7. nobagger

from Pa

John, I now have about 115hrs, (2 weeks worth of drought really lowered the hours) I just peaked under the deck and there is NO grass at all, no build up around the discharge shoot at all. Granted, its been dry here for the past month but even when it was wet there was little to no grass underneath. The paint is somewhat scratched up under the deck and I mow some really crappy lawns (rocks, weeds, etc.) stuff thats really tares up paint, I've already been through an entire set of blades due to the "pristine lawns we mow,lol. I am still very impressed how even this thing cuts! We added a striper kit which makes our nice lawns look awesome and our not so nice lawns still look great. All in all the second best piece of equipment we bought, first was our dump bed insert. One other thing, I strongly recommend getting their bagging system, unbelievable vacuum! It sucks things like leaves from 3 inches beyond the sides of the deck.

8. nobagger

from Pa

Its a dual bagger and it work awesome!

9. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Glad to see people are starting to talk about the X Factor deck finally.

The mulch kit they have designed for it appears to be the first "smart" design for taking it on and off from what I have seen.

10. draftlawncare

draftlawncare LawnSite Member

i tested a 260 xdz yesterday ....i didnt really care for the way deck sits so far back and how far out the front wheels sat all most even with the deck. i think i will stick with exmark