My <100 Miles Traveling Crew

Discussion in 'Original Pictures Forum' started by MMLawn, Mar 16, 2006.

1. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Some of you may know that I have two traveling crews that handle commercial and governmental clients all over NC. They are broken down to Accounts that are Less than 100 miles from my shop and Accounts that are more than 100 miles from the shop. Difference is that <100 miles guys come back home every day and the >100 miles guys spend the nights and are gone Mon-Fri.

Today we started a new 3 year acct in Raleigh so I drove over to "help" them ot and make sure they got there okay and all so while there I got bored after lunch and snapped couple of shots with my cell phone.

Grass is just starting to come out of dormancy so of course it looks bad still riht now but in another 30 days.......:dizzy:

03-16-06_1133.jpg

2. MMLawn

Even with it still dormant they still got down some stripes with those John Deeres that everybody says won't stripe....and they don't even have stripe kits....just a guy that knows how to pitch the deck properly :clapping:

03-16-06_1132.jpg

3. MMLawn

As you can see on the trailer they had a flat and had to change it :weightlifter: I told them to get it replaced and get that ugly azz rim off the trailer :laugh:

03-16-06_1446.jpg

4. MMLawn

This crew (the <100 mile guys) have 3 men, and carry 1-21" mower, 1-36" Hydro WB, 2-60" JD 757 ZTR's, 2-Stick Edgers, 2-Trimmers, 2-BP Blowers, 20gal of extra gas, 5gal of mix gas, 3-rain suits, 3-sets handheld wireless communications, 3-sets Peltors, wireless laptop computer and printer in the truck and a crap load of other stuff to make OSHA happy....

and DANG that spare rim is rusted and ugly.... :laugh:

03-16-06_1447.jpg

5. Trinity Lawn Care  LLC

Trinity Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

Pretty nice set up. Your traveling crew has enough work to keep them on the road for 5 days a week? That is pretty cool. Hey, as long as you are making the right money it really doesn't matter how far you go right? The furthest that I go is probably about 30 miles, but that is because I have a handful of res.

6. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

Tell us more about how you manage the road crew? Did you get a 8 month rate at the holiday inn for room and board?

7. MMLawn

The >100 crew has a foreman that has been with me since 1994 and I pay him too much to be anything but straight up with me. They always cut the same properties on the same days and always stay at the same hotel in each area 2 to a room (there are 4 of them) and yes I personally pick out the motel (and I must admit I pick nie safe and secure ones but also cheap) and handle a corp rate with the motel. I pay for all their meals during the week also. For security reasons on the equipment the >100 crew uses an enclosed trailer and of course carries more stuff. I probably talk to the foreman 6-10 times a day via cell or laptop.

8. LawnBoy89

LawnBoy89 LawnSite Senior Member

Honestly, I don't know how you make money doing that I mean there has to be so many expenses that you wouldn't have with normal local properties. You must have really planned it out right. Good job :clapping:

9. Ideal Lwns & Landscp

Ideal Lwns & Landscp LawnSite Member

shoot...and I thought a job 10 miles away was too far

10. ToroLandscaper

ToroLandscaper LawnSite Bronze Member

What are your crews haulin the stuff with....also what all does the >100 mile crew have (mowers trailer etc..)