My 1989 ford 350 4x4 5speed 7.3 non turbo diesel

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by mower&more1986, Aug 22, 2007.

1. mower&more1986

mower&more1986 LawnSite Senior Member

this is my new truck 1989 ford 350 4x4 5speed 7.3 non turbo diesel:usflag:

1989 ford 350 4x4 5speed 7.3 non turbo diesel.jpg

2. tnmtn

tnmtn LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NE Tn.

congrats on the new truck, i have a 7.3 idi also. 250,000 miles and still running strong. it isn't a powerhouse but the truck does grow on you. you will probably want to check out www.thedieselstop.com for info relating to the truck. their are some things to watch out for with that engine.
    good luck,

3. mower&more1986

thats my 5x8 trailer in the backgound its really small compared to the truck:laugh:
    but i just cant bring myself to part with it

4. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

The first thing to do is flush the coolant system and replace the coolant with new and add the Ford coolant additive to prevent cavitation. The second thing would be change the oil and fuel filters.

Things to know about a IDI Ford.

When working on the engine try not to disturb the fuel return system it is the rubber hoses that go bettween the injectors. Start wigging the return caps or bumping the lines is gauranteed for a leak. The IDIs depend heavily on the glow plugs to start so I would have all 8 glow plugs changed out and install a GP controller if the truck is having starting problems. When you buy glow plugs buy the factory Ford beru plugs DONOT buy champion GPs they are junk.

With the IDIs a mechanical injected engine you need to run a fuel lubricant so buy a couple jugs of Howes Diesel treat and add it to every fill up. If you don't you will be replacing a injection pump and injectors with the new low sulphur fuel which has little lubricating properties.

The IDIs also need good batteries if the ones in the truck are old and make the truck hard starting replace them.

The IDIs are good and reliable not big power but they are cheap and easy to fix. I had one for almost 4 years I never really had troubles with mine besides a starter and glow plugs.

A good upgrade is have the squirters and IP rebuilt it helps get the 185hp back and makes the truck start easier.

Good Luck

You should have the truck for quite a few years just keep the body in good shape.

5. mower&more1986

from what i was told by the last owner the glow plugs where replaced last year
    and both batteries are brand new. so far no troubles. but just in case I'm going to get a service manual.
    also i got to go to the DMV tomorrow which is always is fun because there always in a great mood :laugh:

6. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

I would pull one of the glow plugs out and see what brand they are if they are champion pull them and replace them. Its cheaper to get rid of the champion glow plugs now. What happens is the champion glow plugs are known to loose their tips. They break off when you take the GP out because they bend and swell from the heat. When they break off means you need to remove the heads on the engine to get the chunks out. Thats big money and time.

Pulling a glow plug out is easy get one that is easy to get at use a deep 5/16s 6 point 1/4 inch drive socket with a long extension to take the GP out its like changing a spark plug.

7. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

Well hey congrats!! got to love the classic wheels and running boards!! ha!

8. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

Congrats!! I will be picking up my 1995 F350 XLT 4x4 this week. mine has the turbo diesel

9. mower&more1986

it started perfect this morning this truck runs like champ
    but the exhaust could use work kinda loud but i really dont care:drinkup:

10. Fatboy

Fatboy LawnSite Member

Go down to the auto parts store and buy the best set of belts that they have and install them.
    These engines have a habit of throwing the alternator belts and taking the P/S and vacuum pump belts with them. You can drive it without the P/S and alternator belts but the vacuum pump not turning will seriously effect the brakes.

Been there done that, got the T-shirt.

Mine was a 1990 F-350 CC Dually 5spd.

[​IMG]

Fatboy