1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

My 1st Walker

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ZX12R, Apr 18, 2003.

1. ZX12R

ZX12R LawnSite Senior Member

Picked up my 1st walker today. ........48", HD gear box,low profile tires with the Kohler 26 HP fuel injected motor. I paid $9200 excluding tax.One dealer wanted a grand more than that.I'll play with it tomorrow hoping I do not damage any houses. I thought the price was decent.Please give me feedback with any tip and/or advice.
  2. kels

kels LawnSite Senior Member

Excellent machine, I have a 20hp could not be happier, advice keep up with maintenance:
    1. grease every week
    2. change oil and filter every 50 hours
    3. check all air filters
    4. change hydraulic, rear gear axles and
    transmission fluid every year
    5. sharpen blades every 8 hours
    for clean ups, you can not beat.
  3. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

Great mower, I'm very happy with mine.

Great price too, I paid $10,500 for the same thing + a light kit.

Kels advice is great too. A well maintained machine will keep you happy for a long, long time.
  4. grass-scapes

grass-scapes LawnSite Bronze Member

I bought a new Walker this year as well. I have the 18 hp with the 9.5 bushel catcher, low profile tires and the HD gearboxes. Engine displacement is the same as the 20 HP. I paid 8600 for it. I thought it was a good buy too as another dealer wanted about a grand more for the same thing with the aluminum gear boxes. I have found, however, that it is a pain in the rear to find a place to empty the thing. You have to buy bags specifically for the walker if you are out all day, and they aint cheap. It does make a nice cut but sucks on the hills if you arent able to get the locking rear wheel option. Just my two cents worth.
  5. kels

kels LawnSite Senior Member

grasscapes, a suggestion to you and one that works for me, instead of buying those walker bags get a trash funnel:

and buy 39 gallon bags, the 9 bushel hopper will fill up two bags when full. I am able to leave the bags on the side of the road and the city picks up.
  6. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

We went down to Chemtainer, the company who makes the green "origional carry barrels". I designed a "bin" which is pretty much like a square barrel with two handles on it. Works great for the walkers. The height is perfect nad fits under the metal bar on the back of the machine. The bins resemble rubbermaid storage containers. :cool:
  7. Green Pastures

I just buy the "Walker Bags" which are a clear plastic. It's really think plastic too so it resists tears and punctures. They are like $2 each, but they last a LONG time. You re-use them over and over again. I've had the same 12 bags since I bought the Walker mower last year. You can put 2 full 9 bushel hoppers in one bag and still move it on your trailer.

Get them at the same place you get Walker mowers.

What's the problem???:rolleyes:
  8. grass-scapes

grass-scapes LawnSite Bronze Member

I bought a roll of 50 of those bags. They are heavy with just ONE dump in a bag. I work by myself.... I can imagine if I put two dumps in it. The city WILL NOT under any circumstances pick up anything weighing more than 50 lbs. but that still doesn't solve my dilema. I need a way to dump the grass from the walker into bags so the city will pick them up. I thought about filling the dump bin 3/4 full and using a walker bag, but that is very expensive. The trash funnel might work for me, but how do I get it from the walker dump to the funnel. :confused:
    How can I go about getting one of those short barrels one of the previous posters mentioned?
  9. ZX12R

ZX12R LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for your feedback guys,I am sure this machine will save a ton of time which will let me do more work while saving wear and tear on my body. Fellow landscapers think I am crazy for not having one in the past! I took it to a field toay to practice driving it,going around poles,trees,ect,.................pretty easy to use,i still have to get use to it though. Do you guys get a lot of heat coming off the motor in the summer time? Just wonderind,but,it has to be better than walking.:cool:
  10. Green Pastures

Why are you throwing the Walker bags away?

Is there not a dump in your area that handles yard waste for free?

We have a separate section of our city dump that processes all the yard waste and contractors as well as homeowners are encouraged to dump there for free.

Come on now, I'm 5'9" and 150 soaking wet and I can drag the Walker bags with 2 full 9 bushel hoppers of DRY grass from the street ot the trailer by myself. If the grass is wet I only dump one in the bags.

Don't thrown them away, empty them and re-use them.:D