My 2 cents on running double blades...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by driver5, Jun 8, 2008.

1. driver5

driver5 LawnSite Senior Member

For years I've heard of people running doubles and Ive always been skeptical. So, I said &*%$ it, and slapped them on. Before I loaded it on my trailer, I cut my back yard and could tell a difference. But I wanted to mow for a whole day with it, so I loaded it.

Ive got a exmark lazer 60 with a 27 hpLQ Kawaski . Let me say that running doubles completely sucked my gas tanks dry. Not only did running doubles drain horse power, but it made the engine try to compensate. and that was killing my gas/hour ratio.

What I found interesting is that I read on here that people are not having to double cut yards anymore because of the doubles. Well, let me testify that I still had to double cut yards. It was leaving the same amount that it did with single blades. ( although the grass is cut, its not crisp, or as clean as I like it with a double cut. you can completely see a difference in a single vs. a double cut. )

I was having to use my EZchute more often than before: What I mean is that, with running double blades, the grass was shooting out twice as far as it would with a single set of blades. I was impressed! The running of double blades was creating a huge amount of air volume coming out of the discharge chute. But what confused me was that it wasn't creating twice the vacuum that I thought that it would. Maybe it did.

I'm not bashing the running of blades. I just don't think they are for me. They kill the gas/hour/yard ratio. They toss the grass much further. It decreases engine horse power. Your dulling twice the amount of blades per use. Still having to double cut.

If you have run or will run double blades on your mower. Please post your thoughts as to whether it was a positive or negative experience. I would love to hear them, and to see if there is anything that I can do differently.

FYI: I used High lift blades: They are sharpened with a flap disk ( 40 grit paper ) using a angle grinder.
    yes the underneath of the deck was somewhat clean.

Thanks for reading, and your replies,

Respectfully,

Scott

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Two sets of highlifts is WAY too much drag. For heavy and moist grass cutting, I run a set of tri-level mulchers (with virtually no lift) over top of standard lift solid foil DC's.

3. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

thanks for the report. i've always wondered about doubles as well. guess i'll keep my singles or maybe try out meg-mo.

4. jkilov

jkilov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MS

I don't like them either, pretty much what you said. Hard to clutch also.

Most people use small blades on the top and that does work better. As for overgrown grass the best thing to do is double cut, bagging 1/3 off the first time and make a second pass with SD or mulch (if you have 2 mowers, can switch fast or come the next day). The proper way to do it if you ask me.

5. 3238DPW

3238DPW LawnSite Member

I, like you, have seen mixed results. I do like the way they work and in certain situations I use them. I use different combinations for different times of the year. I read this on here years ago and can not find the thread, but I use high lifts on the bottom and in the spring I use a regular wavy mulching blade on top, summer I use singles and the fall I use High lifts on the bottom and gators on top. I also know that it has been said that Exmarks don't benefit from them as much as other mowers, but I have 2 older 60 inch lazers and find they do improve the cut in those situations.

6. driver5

yeah. I think that I read the same thread your talking about because I too learned about running doubles on this site. I wont do it again. But I never thought about running a smaller blade. I may look into that for the fall when its mulching time. Maybe a small gator on the top. Whats your thoughts on that?

7. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

I think running double high-lift blades would definitely suck a lot of power. I did it once on my Toros just trying to really pack the bags tight. I found it took a ton of power, I could actually tell that I was mowing slower.

I like high-lift and mulching blades, or factory and mulching blades. Just putting high-lifts on puts more strain on my Kohlers.

8. driver5

I love this site, Ive learned a lot over a couple years... I want one of those magnamatic, but cant see spending a grand. Maybe I will save here and there, and buy one just to see how well it does, and how off i am on my angles. I use an angle grinder with flap disk sanders ( 40 grit ). I learned on this site about angles.. I think that I have excellent skill in using my grinder. I just wonder if the magnamatic will stop the double cutting. ?

9. jkilov

jkilov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MS

That's exactly what most people do. Lift on bottom and small gator on top.

10. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

I love my doubles of high-lifts. Yes, it robs power. But I bought some brand new blades a few weeks back and tried to return to singles, but it couldn't pack my bag full and - while it DID cut the grass - it DIDN'T chop it up into fine pieces so I had to go over it multiple times... and then give up and bag the crap. Went back to doubles after one day...