My 2002 Dodge Cummins

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Mike Blevins, Jul 20, 2010.

1. Mike Blevins

Mike Blevins LawnSite Bronze Member

Last week I got the chance to buy a 2002 Dodge 2500 Extended cab 4x4 diesel. It belonged to a friend and co-worker of mine who was killed by a drunk driver on the local interstate. It is in immaculant condition with alot of aftermarket fuel and performance mods. Very fuel efficient and powerful.

dodge cummins 009.jpg

dodge cummins 012.jpg

dodge cummins 015.jpg

dodge cummins 017.jpg

2. ZTR_Diesel

ZTR_Diesel LawnSite Senior Member

Nice, but sorry to hear about your co-worker!

If it does not already have one, install a fuel pressure gauge inline prior to the fuel filter, and monitor it. These VP-44 Injection pump engines are known for lift-pump failures. Once the lift pump fails, it's only a short time before the fuel-cooled VP-44 injection pump will run or of fuel, overheat, and fail. The part alone is $1200 for a new injection pump, so it's worth the cheap insurance of a good gauge and installing it.

This was not an issue on older (1994-1998) Ram/Cummins setup as the P7100 Inline-pump does not tend to fail as readily if a fuel starvation situation occurs.

Good luck with your truck.

3. Mike Blevins

It has a fuel pressure gauge along with exhaust temp and turbo gauges. This is what else has been added for extra insurance.

dodge cummins 016.jpg

4. ZTR_Diesel

ZTR_Diesel LawnSite Senior Member

Excellent! Good idea on that. Not sure what that back-up system is, but it ought to do the trick.

5. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO LawnSite Fanatic

how much did you pay? and how many miles on it?

6. Mike Blevins

It has 78000 one owner miles. This truck has been garage kept it whole life. My friend that owned it was very anal about it.I have every reciept for every oil change or part that has been bought and placed on the truck. We used to put a little bit of oil underneath it at the fire station and he would flip out. As far as price lets just say I got a great deal. It has the whole Banks system on it and the Banks Exhaust brake system also. I have been offered $3500 more than I paid for it by a co-worker of mine. I pull a camper so I can't wait to pull with it next week. My mowing trailer doesn't even squat it or feel likes its back there. I'm very impressed with the trucks power and torque.

7. Mike Blevins

It has 78000 one owner miles. This truck has been garage kept it whole life. My friend that owned it was very anal about it.I have every reciept for every oil change or part that has been bought and placed on the truck. We used to put a little bit of oil underneath it at the fire station and he would flip out. As far as price lets just say I got a great deal. It has the whole Banks system on it and the Banks Exhaust brake system also. I have been offered $3500 more than I paid for it by a co-worker of mine. I pull a camper so I can't wait to pull with it next week. My mowing trailer doesn't even squat it or feel likes its back there. I'm very impressed with the trucks power and torque.

8. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO LawnSite Fanatic

ok so how much did you pay???? whats the point of dodging the question. your idea of a great deal and my idea of a great deal are more then likely completly diffrent.

9. rcslawncare

rcslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

Looks like a great truck, should last forever the way it looks taken care of!!

10. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

Lol thats what I was thinking. Nice truck though.