My 36 inch is making a mess with leaves

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by greg250, Oct 1, 2004.

1. greg250

greg250 LawnSite Member

I have a old 36 inch Exmark Ranger walk behind and having a problem with leaves. Problem is that it fires the leaves out from under the deck on the right side near the catcher. Cuts well and I have have high lift blades on it at this time. Will a blow out baffle help this problem or is it this problem specific to my machine. Thanks in advance

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Greg,

The blow out baffle will not fit your machine. My recommendation would be to try the solid air foil blades and make sure the screen/venting/weave of the grass catcher is completely clean. If the poors of the grass catcher are plugged preventing air from getting out, it will also prevent air from getting in forcing more air to escape in the area you referenced.

Terry

3. greg250

greg250 LawnSite Member

Thnaks for the reply Terry, catcher is fine, its a plastic one and I have tryed varying the blade speed but has not made a difference. Any other tips on how to solve theis problem? If the blow out baffle is not specific to this machine I am pretty good about making things fit. Too late in the season to buy a new machine and am hoping to fix this problem. It's becoming time consuming trying to clean up the mess this machine makes. Thanks again

4. eXmark

Greg,

Before I started modifying the deck I'd try the solid airfoils, low lifts and maybe even the Extreme blade. It's also a good idea to check the engine rpm as well.

Thanks

Terry

5. greg250

greg250 LawnSite Member

back to this problem again...I modified the baffle by dropping it 2 inchs. Played around with a few sets of blade. Same problem. This mower is embarrasing me on lawns and I hope to find a fix. I know its a old mower but it's to late in the season to buy something new. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

6. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

Attach rubber baseboard material around the outside of the deck w/metal screws, dropping down about an ". I did this before the ABB baffle was avail. for a couple years & it worked great !

7. eXmark

Greg,

The only options I could recommend would be: Solid airfoil blades or lower lifts. The low lifts will help a great deal but the limited lift may leave many of the leaves on the ground. If that's the case I'd run the solids and back the throttle off a bit. The ranger walk behind is pretty old and was built before we bumped up the blade tip speeds to todays standards. It's possible that over the years a pulley has been replaced that may have increased the blade tips speed to a point where blow out is a very real and very difficult issue to resolve. You should also check the engine rpm. I believe when this unit was build engine rpms were set at around 3200-3500 rpm.

Thanks

Terry

8. greg250

greg250 LawnSite Member

thank you for your replys. I'll try the idea with the rubber, it sounds like a good one.thanks again