My 36" Toro T-bar came in today.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Vikings, May 28, 2007.

1. Vikings

Vikings LawnSite Bronze Member
    from canada

The mulch kit I ordered is 10 days (at least) behind but I want to start using it right away. I pick it up tomorrow.

Anyway, is side discharge any way to cut a lawn? I always thought it was either bag or mulch.

and any other hints for someone who has never used a large wb before? this is a belt drive, 15hp Kawi (I think), t-bar fresh in from the factory.

2. Pristine PM

Pristine PM LawnSite Member

We just got a 48 hydro Toro TurboForce, floating, and I am really happy with it. We only use it for townhomes, and I don't mind that it is only a discharge. You just circle a few more times if you have people that are picky with grass in their gardens. For the most part it is only used on blvds, common areas, so it really isn't an issue. I would worry that it would be alot more work if you had to clean it all the time because of the mulching.

Jon

3. 4curbappeal

4curbappeal LawnSite Senior Member

I really only mulch in the fall(leaves), too much grass in the spring. I think you will find that most people on this site side discharge. If you are worried about grass clippings in beds, etc. check into an OCDC. I just put the ACS from Meg-Mo Systems (they are a sponsor of this site and locted on the far right column.) on my 54 WB and love it. I will be ordering one for my 36 WB tomorrow! Good luck!!!!

4. Vikings

from canada

I've never even heard of that thing, I had to google it:laugh: What does it do? I looked at the web site a bit.. it looks like some kind of gimmicky blade or something.

http://www.meg-mo.com/meg-mo-system.html

I thought almost everyone mulched.. it's now the main reason I don't bag unless it's crazy thick.:confused: But you're right, the grass is very thick and the mowers I'm using now are struggling on a few lawns. (Toro Super Recyclers)

5. Vikings

from canada

It looks like it would do the same as double blades??

I kinda think this might be a decent innovation. You think I should cancel the mulch kit and grab a set of these? Or would these would in tandem with the Mulch kit?

[​IMG]

6. echeandia

echeandia LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a mulch kit on my Exmark 48" WB. It was only a problem when I was mowing a heavily overgrown field this spring. Most of the other LCO's I see around side discharge. I think the lawn looks better without all of the grass clippings laying on top from the side discharge.

7. Lazer_Z

Lazer_Z LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

Vikings, he's not talking about the Meg-mo blades, he's talking about what's known as an OCDC. Do a search of OCDC and you'll find more than enough info on the subject.

Rob

8. Vikings

from canada

Agreed.

Topsites side discharges but then I read in one of his posts that he cuts every lawn twice over and sometimes just cuts the lawn over and over till it looks good. Too Much work, lol. I want to cut it once and have it look nice.

On the Quick 36 I believe all they do is block the discharge chute but the Toro has a real system that you have to install. I gotta try it I guess.

[​IMG]

9. Vikings

from canada

Thanks, yeah I got that. I came across it on their website, it's basically a Discharge chute blocker... $200..I don't think that's what I'm looking for.