My $50 blower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DynaMow, Nov 22, 2005.

1. DynaMow

DynaMow LawnSite Senior Member

A fellow LCO gave me a little wonder that had a blown engine (8hp). Take it off clean up machine. A guy I know who deals with small engines sold me an 8 horse B&S for 50 dollars. This engine is 28 years old, runs strong. Mounted engine, starts up, runs strong, and blows like a mother. What a great thing, made $250 with it yesterday (first day of operation) so any use out of it now is bonus, do not care how long it lasts.
  2. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

28 yr old BS is a cast iron flat head I think. That engine can easily be rebuilt when the time comes and will still be running long after you don't :D

BTW give you $60 for it payup
  3. FordManKubotaDreamer

FordManKubotaDreamer LawnSite Member

I have an old 9hp B&S, its on an old Montgomery Wards generator. This thing is cast and it ways 3 times as much as my new 13hp generator, but it still runs good. :cool2:
  4. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

Thats how alot of my equipment is, most of my stuff is just a matter of keeping it running.
  5. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Those old B&S engines are bulletproof. That will last you forever, good find!
  6. METRO 36

METRO 36 LawnSite Senior Member

I have a b&s on my air compressor.That my oncle had on his go cart when e was 15 he's now 35. So it's atleast 20 year's old and they bought the go cart used.The only thing if done to it is replace the ring's
  7. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

well, I'd say if you got it, and made it run for $100 total, and made $250 with it, you've made it pay for itself easily.
  8. rookiemower

rookiemower LawnSite Senior Member

flat head Briggs run FOREVER! The are almost indistructable. They can be a total pain to start sometimes
  9. mulcahy mowing

mulcahy mowing LawnSite Senior Member
    from ma

i hate them you cant kill them! so when they get old they linger to long
  10. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Change the old ones over to the mega-tron electronic ignition system and do away with the points and they will fire forever too.