my accountant always says i can't

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by ant, Jan 6, 2003.

1. ant

ant LawnSite Silver Member

LITTLE BACKGROUND..
    1. i work a fulltime job that pays medical/dental coverage for my family and i.

2. i own a lawn service that i do part time with no employees

3. my company is a s corperation

my question is----------------------

why do i always see some companys that can't pay there employees full benefits pay partial benefits.

one company that a friend works for will pay for medical/dental bills that his wifes employer's plan does not cover.

i brought this up to my accountant and told him that i would like for my company to pay for my familys medical bills that my main medical insurance will not pay.

he said i can't.....

the only thing i am looking to pay is balance of dental that the insurance will not pay and the same for medical...

what doyou guys think about this?
    is he wright?
    anthony

2. turfmarketing

turfmarketing LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

Ant--

Your accountant is right.

According to IRS Publication 535 Business Expenses

Fire, theft, flood, or similar insurance.

Credit insurance that covers losses from business bad debts.

Group hospitalization and medical insurance for employees, including long-term care insurance.

If a partnership pays accident and health insurance premiums for its partners, it generally can deduct them as guaranteed payments to partners.

If an S corporation pays accident and health insurance premiums for its 2% shareholder-employees, it generally can deduct them, but must also include them in the shareholder's wages subject to federal income tax withholding. See Publication 15-B."

It's the "S" corporation status that makes it taxable to the owner or "2% shareholder" as stated above.

I feel your pain.

3. Stonehenge

Stonehenge LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

But that isn't 'can't'. That's 'Can, but at a tax penalty', if I'm reading it right.

4. Stonewall

Stonewall LawnSite Senior Member

Make your wife a legitimate employee and offer medical insurance/benefits to your employee and her family.