My add for the phone book

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by stevesmowing, Feb 4, 2007.

1. stevesmowing

stevesmowing LawnSite Senior Member

Here is the add we will be placing in the phone book this year. The phone book is not the huge one for an entire county. There is a separate book for the town we are based out of and the one just south of us.

The add on the left will be in gray scale and in the yellow page section. What is white will be the yellow of the paper.

The add on the right will be in full color and in the white pages section.

both ads.jpg

2. FCPWLLC

FCPWLLC LawnSite Senior Member

Something like this would generate more calls......

bubblebathlawnad.jpg

3. GreenN'Clean

GreenN'Clean LawnSite Bronze Member

What does it cost you to run the add in the phone book in your area?

4. stevesmowing

stevesmowing LawnSite Senior Member

the ad for both the yellow and white pages in the small phone book is $800 a year. I am also going to run this ad in the local pennysaver newspaper. That ad will be $30 a week.

ad inverse.jpg

5. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

I like them

6. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

The ad is horrible. Did the yellow pages salesman design it for you? Go look through your phone book. 99% of the ads in it will look just like yours.

I took a seminar 2 weeks ago at a trade show and the guy really focused on designing good ads. He talked about a moving company he did consulting work for. After year 1 the company had about 120k gross sales. He designed a add for them with a headlines that read something like "In xxx country, the BBB had 450 complaints against moving companys...." The ad went on telling people what they do differently than other companys. The ad was mostly all text. 2 years later the company sold out for 2.1 million.

First off, never use your name as the head lines. Your name is really irrelevent to the ad. Next take out the free estimate and fully insured. Everyone gives free estimates and if your in the phone book, the customer knows your insured.

The reason people get bad results with the yellow pages is because most of the ads suck. You need to make your ad different then your competitors. You always want to advoid saying things like "Quality service" "Professional service" or anything that ANY company could say.

To write a good add, you really have to think of the main concern of the customer for that industry. Really think about it.

The name of your company and your services does not cut in in a yellow pages af!

I think you would be wasting your money if you ran that ad.

I am sorry if i was a little harsh. I just do not want to see you waste your money. Take my advice and come up with a good ad.

Matt

7. Young Lawn Boy

Young Lawn Boy LawnSite Member

i think they look good

8. PatriotLandscape

PatriotLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MA

While it is harsh I agree with your ideas. Although for most businesses this will work fine. I was reading about marketing a while back and a fish company went to a marketer for a new sign the old sign said "Fresh Fish Caught Locally" while it was a nice sign the marketer looked at it and said "Do other people sell rotten fish?" so he removed "Fresh". The stores location was on the water so it seemed redundant to say "Caught Locally" so in the end the new sign simply said "Fish". Tell them about what is different not what is the same as everyone else.

9. ArizPestWeed

ArizPestWeed LawnSite Bronze Member

Do a search for "yellow page ad designs" and hire one of them.
    That's what I did , it made a huge difference in responses

10. ArizPestWeed

ArizPestWeed LawnSite Bronze Member

[​IMG]

Mine is a full page ad , just came out looking small