My all-time favorite SINGLE tree to prune yearly

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by mdvaden, Mar 2, 2007.

1. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

I got an email last night from someone in the Brookings Oregon Garden Club. His not reminded me of my favorite tree to prune each year, since he was curious about something pertaining to flowering cherry. Since I cropped a photo for the reply, I'm sharing it today.

Its a Mt. Fuji flowering cherry tree in Wilsonville. Of all trees in a full year, it was usually my favorite to prune. It can be done 90% by walking on the limbs.

The canopy is slightly over 50' wide.

You can see my son sitting in the middle.

Mt_Fuji.jpg

2. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

That is ONE BEAUTIFUL tree my friend--ONE BEAUTIFUL TREE!!!!!I've just finished pruning apple trees--old ones-- really thick and not a clue as what I did, but you can now see light between the limbs. I've never met anyone that could tell another how to prune older trees--young ones yes, but old ones that are bearing--no one. Got any suggestions--Roy

3. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

simple rules if you have basic understanding

first remove dead, broken, damaged, or rubing branches.
    second depending on what you are pruning remove any branches crossing back over the main trunk line
    third remove to balance, shape and alow air flow

other than that you have to be lucky enough to learn from a pro first hand

4. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

Thanks Drew:
    Did all of that and to quote a real old pruner "You've got to be able to throw your hat through the tree" That makes a lot of sense in that the lower limbs and branches need sun for obvious reasons. Another thing he stressed was 10 and 2 branching referring to a clock. My problem is nog willing to cut any twig with a bloom bud. And to quote Spoke "You must sacfifice the Few for the good of the Many" Thanks Again.

5. mdvaden

Suggestions yes, but it has to wait a couple of years. I can teach class, or lecture. But I'm making a DVD too. It won't be dazzling photography, but will be for computer. The content will make up for my lack of pro filming skills.

Two weekends ago, I taught some of the method to the Brookings Oregon Garden Club, and the feedback and emails were excellent. At first they were surprised because the approach was foriegn.

Where I'm headed with the DVD is not to teach how to prune everything, but to teach people to UNDERSTAND what's going on and how to manipulate plants. My classes - and the future DVD - are unlike any pruning class and book available. And there is no practical way to write it. It takes too long, and really won't cover for seeing with the eyes.

Silky gave me some free saws to use in the video, and I have the saws neatly stored to have shiny equipment for the recording.

6. TNT LawnCare Inc.

TNT LawnCare Inc. LawnSite Bronze Member

Nice job !! and great looking tree. Nice to see some still care. Around here half the tree cutters are given the tress hair cuts. You've seen them they wack the whole top of the tree off ,no limbs to pull water up the trunk.. looks horriable...

7. mdvaden

I wish more people in Medford cared to - that's one reason we want to move back to Portland.

2/3 of the trees in Medford are pitiful wrecks.

There are a few good arborists, and a few landscapers who care, but all-in-all, the number of decent trees to work on reminds me of starvation.

Near Portland, there are so many decent trees to work on. Some of the best are the ones that nobody has touched yet. Better untouched than butchered.

Anyway, it was a bit of a horticultural culture-shock when I moved south. Only been here for 18 months, and we are now ready to move.