My area sucks!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ProStreetCamaro, Mar 13, 2008.

1. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

Man I just got done passing out a couple hundred post cards and we were in a couple high end multi million dollar neiborhoods with 2+ acre lawns and pulled out a flyer with "your estimate is $45 per cut". It was hand written. Come on now $45 for over 2 acres? :hammerhead:

2. DK lawn care

DK lawn care LawnSite Senior Member

the worst part was that it was hand written hahah

3. ProStreetCamaro

I know it sucks. Every neighborhood I have been in this spring has been plastered with flyers for $20 per cut for average neighborhoods and now $45 per cut for these big lawns. These guys cant be legal! I dont see how they could be legal and charge so little. I mean we are a father son operation with virtually no overhead ( equipment is kept at our house, Truck is paid for etc etc) and with fuel prices and insurance and everything else we can not charge as little as these guys are. :cry:

4. Ed Ryder

Ed Ryder LawnSite Senior Member

In my experience, operators with that kind of pricing don't last very long.

One example: a couple years ago somebody new in the business gave a price of $28 for a lawn. And he required 10 weeks paid up front! The homeowner, who had just moved into the neighborhood, agreed. Three months later the homeowner approached me. My quality is the best in the neighborhood and everybody recognizes it. I picked him up for $45 a cut. To him, quality was more important than a cheap price from somebody who really didn't know that they were doing.

The moral of the story. Don't sell on price. Sell the value of your service. Who wants to come home to a crappy mow job in order to save a few bucks?

They want the lawn to look right. They don't want any stress. And they prefer to do business with people they like.

I wouldn't worry about the competition.

5. Willofalltrades

Willofalltrades LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm not trying to be pissy and I value what you have to say ProStreet, but stop B****ing and make your business stand out from the lowballers. List the reasons right on there why they should hire you instead of the 12 year old boy with dad's toro push mower. I'm becoming a member of the BBB and best believe that logo will be on there and it will be BIG lol. People respect the BBB a lot. It will take one season for them to get fed up with the garbage service that make things like a BBB accreditation stand out.

Again, not trying to offend you... just giving some motivational speaking lol

6. DK lawn care

DK lawn care LawnSite Senior Member

You are right ed, but then we do have those cheapies that want the cheapest possible price, that dont care about quality.

7. IN2MOWN

IN2MOWN LawnSite Platinum Member

They wont last very long but the problem is that there are 4 others to take their place when they go down.

Just have to suck it up and keep going.

8. coonman

coonman LawnSite Senior Member

Go back and look at the lowballing/scrubs threads. These same threads are out here every year at this time. The same stuff being said, worrying about lowballing and not getting enough customers. Yet every year we always seem to have our customers back and add more when needed. This has been going on for years, nothing has changed.

9. ProStreetCamaro

Exactly! Thats the real problem here in my area. When my father started this there were very few LCO's around. Now everybody that owns a truck has a trailer full of mowers and a truck full of hispanics. I will bet 90% of them are illegal.

10. delphied

delphied LawnSite Silver Member

As John Mccain said a few years back. They only do jobs the Americans dont want. Americans wouldnt pick crops if you paidem $50.00/hr is what I think he said.