My Bad Boy Story

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 12thKY, May 18, 2007.

1. 12thKY

12thKY LawnSite Member
    from ky

At the start of the mowing season I bought a "60" Bad Boy Pup, since I mow several "repo" houses and my ExMark CT "wasn't up to snuff" in that thick stuff. After I got the Bad Boy I noticed where the wheels would mash the grass down and it would not pick the grass back up, which would leave strips of grass cut a inch or more higher than the grass between the wheels.

After resetting the rake several times, I finally went to the dealer which turned into several trips and no improvement in the cut. Luckily the last trip to the dealer was within a couple days of when the Bad Boy rep was to stop by, and he showed up with a new deck in case it was needed.

They showed the rep how terrible the cut was, he agreed that something was defintely wrong and agreed that there was a problem with my deck.

So I now have a brand new deck, and it is night and day different from the old one. It needs a little tweaking to get it like I want it but it isn't far off. I just wanted to say that Bad Boy does stand behind their products and will work with you till it is right, and of course my dealer was nothing but helpful trying to get the mess figured out .

2. Palmer'sLS

Palmer'sLS LawnSite Senior Member

WOW man thats great to hear. I am glad that bad boy stands behind their product. I enjoyed my last mower, except for the breakdowns, and the mediocre cut it left. That company bought the mower back. Now I am moving on. Too bad BAD BOY doesnt sell anything in the State of VA:hammerhead:

3. Rhinox29

Rhinox29 LawnSite Member

As a fellow Bad Boy owner. Glad to hear they fixed your problem. Many complain about them just from hear say. But we know better:clapping:

4. ncls

ncls LawnSite Senior Member

You have a Pup, what horsepower? I have a 27 horse 60 inch, and I just got a 23 horse 60 inch. I also have a 50 inch 26 horse. The 23 almost stalls when you engage the blades. The 50 is a zt so it moves like a snail. They all have their problems, but, all around, they are great.

5. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Glad to hear it.
    I was wondering how all that panned out.

Seems that things were handled professionally without a lot of red tape.

I'll certainly file this away for future consideration, as my list of manufacturer's I find "acceptable" for doing business with gets smaller and smaller.

6. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

That's awesome that they helped you out. I hope the mower does great for you-

7. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

How can a whole deck be bad? I mean they probably go through an assembly process with tight tolerances like most company's. Was it warped or what. Shouldn't each deck be a identical match for a particular model? Why does the new one need tweaking? Aside from getting a deck installed properly and hanging level (or with the proper rake) why would one need to tweak it? I'm not trying to be smart it just doesn't sound right. Then again I can remember others having problems with different brand of decks and the dealer mixing and matching blades to try to get them to cut. I've even heard of that on a Triton. I definitely don't want a deck you have to tweak. I'm seriously not trying to be smart but I would have a fit if setting the rake and installing a deck properly wasn't enough to get a good cut. In fact I've had that problem and did throw a fit. If a deck is designed right it shouldn't need tweaking in my humble opinion. You shouldn't be walking on glass worrying about every little thing has to be just right for a deck to cut right when you can go to the Home Depot or Lowes and get a good cut from a consumer mower. No offense just stating my thoughts. Seriously 12th KY I wish you luck but your post makes me want to stay away. Never hear a post like that with 7 irons.

I can remember Exmark dealers trying a lot of different blade combo's to try to get the Triton to cut some Northern Grasses and it turned out to be the deck design. Not bashing Exmark, I like mine a lot. Same can be said about other company's trying patches and fixes. Like I said it sends up a red flag when I hear that kind of thing anymore.

8. Envy Lawn Service

My guess is that it was a slightly warped deck, causing vacuum issues.
    It happens sometimes with fabricated decks.... (real often with "some" MFG's).

As far as the tweaking... I figure he just hasn't had a chance to dial it into it's sweet spot yet... as far as level & rake.

Oh.... and as far as the 7 Irons, they are STAMPED of 7 guage.

Just pointing that out and coupling that with your "lowes or home depot" part of the comment to suggest something to everyone here....

Stamped decks are not always a BAD thing... just hard to repair from major damage.

And I say that having a history of not being fond of the 7 Iron (for other reasons).
    But that's one thing that I still find unfairly held against the 7-Iron.
    And it's without any merit at all.

9. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Of course Envy when you've had the experiences I have with decks it doesn't take much to throw up a red flag for me. That's why even though Exmark is my favorite company until I get some solid information, reviews, etc about the new Trition I will just wait. I started a thread as you know to try to get Triton owners to come out of the woodwork and brag a little about the new and improved decks with very little success. I know some of my post stir up a little resentment but I always try to be fair. I'm not a basher of any brand or blindly loyal to any brand. Like an umpire I call them like I see them and you are probably right. Any company can make a lemon now and then. Saying that, I have heard of almost no complaints about 7 Iron, Velocity, or Cub/Lesco decks. Seems like the rest get a negative review now and then. I was really shocked that they started the Cub bashing post and there were almost no bashers except for our good friend out of Florida. Just speaking my mind in a light hearted way.

Much to be said about quality control and a stamped deck, I see what your saying.

10. Envy Lawn Service

Cool...

And here are a few more points for saying's sake...

What it boils down to is that a few MFG's watched and learned from other mower MFG's mistakes, and seeing them gobbled up by MTD (Machine Tool & Die) drove the point home.....

Be able to stamp your own parts in-house.... or fabricate them instead.

So some started fabricating decks, and some of the early ones were quite crude... really at a disadvantage to stamped. But we as an industry, and the 'heavy' buying public were looking for more... thicker steel, etc... and we have gravitated towards fabricated decks for their percieved repairablity... and because nobody was stamping from the thicker materials at the time the transition began.

To finish that off... to Deere's credit, they are stamping 7 guage! Any idea the force, pressure, and financial investment that requires? And they are reinforcing it to boot. Structurally, their deck is strong and sound. Probably one of the strongest decks on the market. So that in a nutshell is what ruffles my feathers, and it's maybe the only issue I'll defend Deere on.

On to the next part... as far as how a deck is made is concerned... My opinion is that they all make a crooked/warped deck now and then... and it's probably quite a bit more often with fabricated decks because of all the additional welding that goes on. Stresses the steel, pulls it, heats it, etc...

Even eXmark makes some that end up warped... trust me. And to me it is no surprise with the amount of welding they do on their decks. Frankly I'm surprised you don't hear about it often.

But that brings up the next point. How much of this stuff makes it out in the field and gets discovered is all according to the quality control measures taken, the inspection process, and how tight the tolerances are... and rather or not it's adhered to.

In my opinion, a crooked/warped/twisted deck should never make it to the shipping dock.
    But at the same time, I understand that level of quality control is not feasible for mass production.
    So in the end, it still comes down to how a company handles their mistakes and imperfections.

Some do the job well... others do their best to limit claims and hang people out to dry.

Looks like Bad Boy responded well.