My best tip that I have learned after 5 years

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by soloscaperman, Jul 2, 2014.

1. soloscaperman

soloscaperman LawnSite Gold Member

Never get comfortable with the amount of customers you have. Word of mouth slowed down and I have lost a total of around 4-5 customers this year out of around 30. Two died, one that I saw a day before helping fix a bird feeder she passed away like 10 hrs later. The others I lost due to high risk because I have a 26 inch titanium rod which I had installed since NOV 2, 2013. I am 30 now and thank god so far I can work without pain 99% of the time. I did a walk in flower bed with 1.5 yards of riverjack rocks.

Keep moving forward! That's my tip never stay neutral but at the same time be able to handle the amount of customers that you have.

I did gain 3 new ones though, one being a woman that new my friend and I from the motorcycle accident. lol just one customer from my first time using craigslist.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2014
  2. BIG NICKY

BIG NICKY LawnSite Member

I just had 2 plates and eight screws put in to fix my hip after a car accident it happened in january and im just now learning to walk again and its frustrating ill tell you that.....it sucks!!!

photo 1 (5).JPG

photo 2 (5).JPG

3. soloscaperman

soloscaperman LawnSite Gold Member

Can't see the pictures Nicky, I have a ban on photo's on this site since I posted a pic of my girlfriend cleaning my mower with short shorts like 5 years ago. Be strong man I didn't walk for 7 months do light work for a while and test your body in baby steps doing light work. Feel better! I have the rod installed in my femur, they were going to remove the leg since it crushed in millions of pieces from a bike accident.

4. StanWilhite

StanWilhite LawnSite Silver Member

You're exactly right, don't ever take your customers for granted no matter how long they have been with you.

I used to service the Dollar General stores in my area and had been doing them for over 15 yrs. They eventually went with a national company (that would then use subcontractors) so that they would only have one contact for any problem in any area.

I completely understand this but I lost 31 accounts in one day! :cry:

5. southerntide

southerntide LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Alabama

Lol seriously they still have a bikini thread going on this site and is big wth :confused:

PM Michael and ask him about it

6. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Wow that is a lot of Dollar General's in one area!
    We have like one in a 50 mile radius.
    Did you do a ton of driving?

7. southerntide

southerntide LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Alabama

We have tons of DG's in Alabama man, freds and dollar stores too lol

8. Caddyshack Lawn Care

Caddyshack Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

I feel like I'm watching a Subaru "they lived" commercial.

(which was a stroke of genius)

9. StanWilhite

StanWilhite LawnSite Silver Member

Hey DA, I had all of the stores set up in a route that was all within 30 miles of Decatur (where I live)....worked out great (while it lasted)! :)

PS I do HVAC PM so they were done once a month. That hurt bad enough, but at least I didn't lose 31 weekly accounts!

10. herler

herler LawnSite Fanatic

Oh yeah I learned that a drought can last much past a year...
    I learned a drought ends when it does, and it affects you for however long it lasts.
    The last one we had lasted 6 years...
    Finally last year came great relief.
    And we're in for another dry one.