1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

My Better Quick-36 Samurai arrived!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Alta Lawn Care, Oct 15, 2007.

1. Alta Lawn Care

Alta Lawn Care LawnSite Member

Well, I got a call after work tonight from the shipping company that my 16 HP Quick 36 mower was in. I found out that the shipping company stayed open till 9:00--cool! I also found out that they could place the mower into the bed of my pick-up. Cool again.

When I got home, I unpackaged it in the pickup bed and assembled it using the easy one-page instructions. It took about an hour to get it out of the box and assembled.

This machine is beefy! Pictures don't do it justice.

The learning curve on operating it is short. After 30 seconds of use, I could wheel that thing around like nothing. I got real fast on 180 degree turns by feathering the hand lever. By the way, the lever looks and feels like my old Harley Davidson (1992 sportster) levers--very comfortable.

The folks at Better really pay attention to the details. Even the shipping tape was curled under so that it was easy to find the end of the tape and unwrap it. No frustration. I'll send pictures tomorrow of my new "baby"

The machine is light--just what I expected and one of the main reasons I bought it. (I've got some steep hills that with a heavier machine would tear.)
  2. Alta Lawn Care

I'm not sure if I'm uploading these pictures right, but if it doesn' work, I'll try again. Here I am like a kid at Christmas with the box open to my Quick 36 Samurai! Next is me about an hour later with it ready to go. Too bad it's dark out.

OK, here is a picture of my grass before it was cut. Yup, it's 8 inches long or more. (Cobbler's kids go without shoes, ya know.) Here is the shag rug. Next are pictures of my beautiful striped lawn. Thanks, Quick 36! Note: No striping kit needed, only single cut needed. Regular high lift blades were used with the chute up at the factory height setting with no mulch plate in. (not bagged and not a cut blade of grass visible to the eye--take my word for it.

This machine is going to be a good tool, for me. The only negatives were minor in my opinion. It takes more upper body strength than I thought it would. Not a problem as long as I'm not cutting acres of lawn. Also, the reverse lever is hard on the thumb. I may try to modify that. I wish the reverse was faster but then again, I don't want the thing running over me. Lastly, I noticed while backing up uphill that the left tire spun while the right didn't. I'm going to check with Gary on it to see if that's normal or if it needs adjustment. The speed isn't as fast as Exmarks for example, but I didn't by it for blinding speed. I want a light, good quality, small machine for hills.

I can't wait to try it out in the Spring on one of my commercial accounts-Hills galore.

3. greengiant9963

greengiant9963 LawnSite Senior Member

Never realized how big the rear tires are on a quick 36. Congrads on your new mower.
  4. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

Congratulations ... I'm waiting to see what the Quick mowers with dual hydros will look like and how they will perform !!
  5. Alta Lawn Care

Never realized how big the rear tires are on a quick 36. Congrads on your new mower.
    Yeah, the big tires were a selling point for me. The John Deere Quik Trak you see in one of the pictures tires are too small (which is why the new models have bigger tires.)

6. tsh1773

tsh1773 LawnSite Senior Member

I received mine a couple of months ago and have been very impressed with its ease of use. Mine was a little slow at first but I adjusted the forward speed cable just a hair and it made a big difference. What height did you cut that yard on? Also the handle grips started coming off. They suggested spraying with black spray paint inside the grip. That worked for a bit but now they are loose again.
  7. shade tree landscaping

shade tree landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I have had a Quick36 since April and love it! Not one bad thing to say about the mower or the company. You will get alot of use out of this mower with very little maintence!
  8. Howard Roark

Howard Roark LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Try your wife's hairspray inside the grips. Works like a charm.
  9. jameson

jameson LawnSite Fanatic
    from PNW

Gorilla Glue.

I put some on the slippin' grips of my Q36--and we've been slip free since 2005.

10. Alta Lawn Care

What height did you cut that yard on?
    I cut it at the height the mower was sent to me. Didn't even look at it. I'm guessing it's about 3.5".

Thanks for the tips on the grip. I've got both gorilla glue and my wife's hairspray. Think I'll try the hairspray first.