My bid..too high, too low, was I even close?

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by Jims Lawncare, Mar 12, 2011.

1. Jims Lawncare

Jims Lawncare LawnSite Member

I'm in western NC, I just did an estimate for aeration, fertilizing, and overseeding tall fescue..15,500 sq ft of lawn. The front yard has a steep slope, around 18 degrees. The grass is healthy looking, just thin in places and growing in lumpy. I was using granular starter fert all over, and an organic compost top dressing on the thinner area's only (7000 sq ft). My estimate was for $415.00, and the man about had a stroke. This house sits on a golfcourse and over looks a lake. It's an upper income area. Thanks for any help with my future bids, Jim

2. StihlMechanic

StihlMechanic LawnSite Bronze Member

Seems a little low to me, but I havent done this work so I really don't know. I would hope to pull nearly $500-600 for this service.

3. nepatsfan

nepatsfan LawnSite Gold Member

I was thinking the same thing. Significantly too low.

4. TMlawncare

TMlawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds a little low also with the topdressing and fert figured in. I would have added about $65 to the bid, although that probably would have brought on the stroke.lol.

5. powerslawn&landscaping

powerslawn&landscaping LawnSite Member

I gave a former customer a bid last week. He almost had a stroke over $100 bucks ! 2 nights ago I saw him at a fund raiser that was $1000 bucks to sit where he was at the VIP table. I was picking up my daughter from work. Dont let the customer control the price or you will be working for free !

6. TMlawncare

TMlawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

It is amazing how people justify their money. ***** at you for shooting them a fair price for maintenance, then drop a $1000 to sit at the high roller table. Classic.

7. Jims Lawncare

Well Thanks for the advice guys, I was not sure but I was hoping I was not too high, because if I was then I quit.

8. lukemelo216

lukemelo216 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from ...

Were you overseeding with a seeder or just spreading it with a spreader? We will offer both, the one with the seeder is a little more expensive but, if we were using just a push spreader, id be at $150 for the aeration, $150 for the seed/fert, and then looks like about 3 yards of dirt installed at $55/yd so about 465 for it all.

9. Jims Lawncare

it was with a spreader, not a seeder..I think where I was short was on my aeration charge. Oh and the customer called back and now he WANTS the work done.

10. grass4gas

grass4gas LawnSite Senior Member

Yea, he must have seen the other responses on your post and thought to himself, I better jump at the original price before he increases his price:cool2: