My Big Mouth

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by MDLawnman, Jun 2, 2006.

1. MDLawnman

MDLawnman LawnSite Member

A client asked me to stop by yesterday as he had some yardwork that he wants me to take care of. He has a garden 25' X 20' that he had mulch delivered for, and he had spread it himself about 2" thick over the entire garden. The mulch company charged him for 9 cubic yards of mulch for that area. Without thinking I blert out "Well that's not 9 yards of mulch".

AND it wasn't! No way. 4 at the most.

But then it starts - "well I'll get on the phone right away and complain to the mulch people and get my money back".

Now I don't want my client getting ripped off, but sometimes I think it's better to keep my big mouth shut and not get in the middle of things.

Isn't honesty still the best policy?

2. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

I wouldn't have said anything, B/C the "Mulch Company" is my friend.

3. Matt S

Matt S LawnSite Member

9 and 4 can look an awful lot alike when it's handwritten on a work order. I bet the person who wrote the order and the person who rang the sale up were two different people. You probably saved him some money, and he should be grateful. I can't imagine a mulch company delivering 4 yards and charging for 9.

4. cajuncutter

cajuncutter LawnSite Senior Member

This kind of reminds me of when i use to sale firewood. I would deliver a cord of wood and the people would come out after we stacked it and say "you gave us too much wood, how much do we owe you for the extra?" I would say nothing. I discovered that what these people had gotten in the past was a "face" cord. And a lot of times they were not even getting that. I hope this is not the case but it is possible this mulch company pretty much knows the typical home owner isn't going to know the difference between 4 and 9 yards. All they know is they got a large pile dumped off.

5. MDLawnman

MDLawnman LawnSite Member

Holy Cow Matt S - I never thought of that! You could be right. I'm going to suggest that to him. Thanks!