my big mouth

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by whtrash73, Jul 23, 2006.

1. whtrash73

whtrash73 LawnSite Member

man did i screw up! my best account may be down the drain.after cutting the hudge yard the owner asked me to chat with him.i told him sure would be nice to get home and have a cold beer.come to find out he and his wife are recovering alcoholics.he called said the yard did not need a cut this week.moral of the story WATCH WHAT YOU SAY TO THE CUSTOMER!!!:nono:

2. Freddy_Kruger

Freddy_Kruger LawnSite Bronze Member

Everyone drinks beer (almost, I don't but) and there's nothing wrong with it either.

I got a friend in AA for like 12 years and I'm here to say AA is a brain washing cult for losers.

3. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member

Honestly its not against the law for you to have a beer and you really didn't do anything wrong. It also doesn't mean he doesn't want you to cut it, it may simply not need cutting.

Cheers
    Jeff

4. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

If they fire you over that they were not worth having anyway, It would have happened soon. They are way to unstable to be able to work with.

5. CutInEdge Lawn Care

CutInEdge Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Or it could be that you insulted him by wanting to go home instead of shoot the breeze with him. Although I very seldom drink anymore, once or twice a yr on a holiday, I still enjoy saying on a very hot day. Man a cold beer would really taste good. But never say these things around people you dont know. That would be like going on an interview and saying boy some crack would really be nice right now. With that being said, you are both adults and just because he doesnt drink doesnt mean that he doesnt want you there because of that. Maybe they cant afford the service and this was just away for them to excuse themselves from the obligation. Sorry to hear your stressin over it. Good Luck!!!

6. jt5019

jt5019 LawnSite Bronze Member

No not "almost everyone drinks beer" but a lot of people do. I dont see anything wrong with it either but a customer might feel differently. I always watch what i say even if it really is no big deal.

7. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

I agree. Its your choice an dif they have a problem with it they shouldn't be on your route anyway.

8. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting LawnSite Senior Member

Let us know if you lost the account and maybe you can talk to the customer. That is no reason to lose an account, but learn from your day to day experiences, this will only make you a better lco.

9. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

:laugh: :laugh: I will have to try that line with the next PITA.

10. CutInEdge Lawn Care

CutInEdge Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Throw in some twitching or whatever for visual effects and wahlah no more PITA.