My boss is getting suspicious!

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by UNIQUElawncare, Sep 21, 2013.

1. Will P.C.

Will P.C. LawnSite Senior Member

No reason he should even suspect you starting your own business. No phone calls, web researching, sneaking out to look at Craigslist ads, etc while on his dime.

2. DiSantolandscaping

DiSantolandscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from Maine

or he may be trying to help you..... My boss knows im trying to start a business on the side and i keep getting all kinds of work from them. I work at a parts store used to be a delivery driver for 8 1/2 years there. well id find work while is was out and about but i didnt stand around and talk about it i just told shops what i was doing and if they needed somehting boom i got some work. well our shop bought a new store and has someone mowing it currently becaue it takes him an hour with a 60 in zero turn, and all i have is a push mower currently. well i mow the old store and do my manager house and my owner boss house. just a thought. and i just got promoted to work inside. so just work hard and keep you nose clean. good luck

3. recycledsole

recycledsole LawnSite Gold Member
    from MD

I think most of us did this. It is the smart move. Its a huge risk to quit your job and start a new business. Its perfect to do in your extra time until it creates a full time or semi-full time that pays better. Don't let anyone know. how would he find out? I was cutting out flyers with the paper cutter at work and my boss saw it and looked at it and didn't say anything. I was the best employee though and worked 60 hour regularly.

4. UNIQUElawncare

UNIQUElawncare LawnSite Member

OK for the record I have never even for a second used company time for my new venture. everything Ive done thus far has been completley on my personal time. I believe he has caught wind through a mutual friend or seen some of my advertising efforts such a business card or facebook promotion? As a former owner of a company with 17 employees in the cabinet making industry, I am treating my boss as I would have wanted my employees to have done me.

5. dKoester

dKoester LawnSite Gold Member

Well if he ask just tell him your not making enough. Weekends are yours, you can do what you want.

6. CL&T

CL&T LawnSite Senior Member

Right. You really can't blame anybody for doing what they can to make money these days with the economy the way it is.

7. DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING

DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING LawnSite Bronze Member

Alright, now the em
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING

DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING LawnSite Bronze Member

Alright, now the employers view.
    I finally got this guy who does a good job. He has been with me for x years and now is becoming a useful part of my company.
    CRAP!
    I hear through the grapevine he is going out on his own , so in essence he is no longer committed to me.
    I will try to find out the details and time frame because now I have to start over with a new employee! Should I hire one now? Later? Is this guy going to leave me high and dry? I now don't want to give him more responsibility or pay raise when I should be focusing on someone who is going to be more dedicated.
    If it were me as your boss I would be feeling this way.
    I most likely would want you gone so I could focus on someone new who isn't starting they're own gig.
    Good luck with your new venture.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. TuffTurfLawnCare

TuffTurfLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

I can totally see your point and I agree with you because your employee is going into business for himself in the same arena that you trained him for. But the OP said he is not in working in this business at his current job. Therefore, there is no threat to the current employer about loss of revenue due to him mowing lawns.

In your case, I would keep that employee close, even offer to help him a bit. When he gets jobs that are too big, he may give them to you, thus giving you the opportunity to gain another customer. I have a large company local to me that has been mentoring me all season, whenever I have a question. In return, I got him a commercial snow account worth a few thousand dollars. Might not want to burn bridges no matter how small they are. ;-)

10. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

You're failing to see his current employer will face a revenue loss when this guy up and leaves. Regardless if its a different industry. The closer this guy gets to leaving the less productive he will become. Its called short timers disease and everybody gets it regardless of how much they liked the job. Employers don't even want your 2 week notice anymore. You're out the door and it brings down the whole company. Some people are glad your leaving and some people wish it was them. Can't do much now, he's already headed down that slippery slope.
    Posted via Mobile Device