My Brand New Compost Tea spray rig, yahooo

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by ICT Bill, May 8, 2008.

1. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

I've been playing around with hose end sprayers, hey! why not? you could do applications in a mini cooper instead of a 2 ton truck burning diesel.

Lets look at a cost comparison, 2 ton truck with tanks 60 to $80,000 maybe more, diesel fuel $4.50 a gallon, Insurance $2000 per year, yearly maintenance ??? gas mileage carrying 400 to 600 gallons of water??

Used mini cooper $10,000, unleaded gas $3.50, hose end sprayer $15.00, gas mileage 30MPG, insurance, who knows, maybe $1000 per year, talk about low overhead and certainly headed more toward sustainable

The only drawback is the time on site. But with little to no overhead I could spend a little more time on site. Our hose at the shop does not put out enough GPM, I don't think anyones house does. It works, just slow

dial and spray 1.jpg

dial and spray 2.jpg

2. Newby08

Newby08 LawnSite Senior Member

what kind of area can you cover with one jug? do you have it measured out just right? I think that may take more than just a "little" longer to apply but I'm liking the idea. It would be great for smaller lawns, but the big guys that are popping in my mind... I just don't know.

3. DeepGreenLawn

DeepGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

I'm liking the idea.

4. Daner

Daner LawnSite Bronze Member

Bill the bad part Is...the old story...Mrs Jones...may I borrow your hose and tap to do the application on your lawn. Other than that Its a darn good Idea you came up with...I'm sure you did some testing to see If the AACT survives the rush of cold water etc... what about Chlorine? and all that good stuff they mix with the city water

5. DeepGreenLawn

good point

6. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

The testing is already done, the active microbes are cut down by 50% but our product is 95%+ dormant, it does not effect them, also there is so much humate, fish and kelp in our product that the chlorine never really does much anyway.

Actually the story is: sustainable ! less inputs

what if you redeem $4.00 for every application for use of the water. You could advertise "we'll pay you $4.00 every time we do an application"

What would the cost of a 2 ton truck with 600 gallons of compost tea be??? would it be worth $4.00 to use their water???? of course it would, your bottom line compared to chemlawn would be extremely less

If you were power washing their deck would you bring your own water????

Why carry a bunch of water around??? it doesn't make sense, water is heavy add some compost to it and it is even heavier.

7. brianlooft

brianlooft LawnSite Member

I'm sold. It sure beats applying with Hudson electric backpack sprayer like Ive been doing. Too many trips to the spigot and cant get good sized drops out of tips supplied.
    Spray rig w/ 300ft hose - $2500.00

or

3 100' lengths heavy duty kink free hose(lifetime warranty)from Lowe's @ $49.00ea.

Gibson hose end sprayer $24.00

Beating the system........Priceless!

8. DeepGreenLawn

nice touch, the only thing is you still have to keep going back to get more compost or mix whatever you call it

9. brianlooft

brianlooft LawnSite Member

10. DeepGreenLawn

yeah get it right geez