My Brand New & Modified Aerator.

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by gl1200a, Jul 2, 2005.

1. gl1200a

gl1200a LawnSite Senior Member

I did quite a bit of research on an aerator before I made a purchase. I wanted a dependable unit with greasable zerks and also had a motorized lifting mechanism without spending upwards of $1900.00. I wanted to have a unit that would be cost effective in the first season. What I ended up with is a Turf Vent aerator that comes with a very solid heavy duty frame and zerks for the shaft and the wheel hubs aswell. I found the unit for about $225.00 off of list from a distributor (from Arizona) and paid $499.00 delivered. Then I used an actuator arm in 12 volts and fabricated a framework out of steel with the guidence from a very dedicated friend of mine since high school. With the help of some very knowledgeable folks here on Lawnsite.com I was able to figure out the wiring and switch system.

http://www.wikco.com/Turfvent.html -- Here is the original unit.

Aerator III.jpg

Aerator I.jpg

Aerator II.jpg

2. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

That's mighty fine ingenuity there.. Let us know how It performs.

3. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

How about some close-up pictures.

4. stevesmowing

stevesmowing LawnSite Senior Member

looks nice. I have been looking at getting into aeration. I was looking at the gator rotor b/c you can get close where a tow behind can't but the price on yours looks more attractive. How does profits compare to aeration vs. mowing? Is it a good investment?

5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Sorry but I don't feel that tow-units do near as good a job as full-size walk-behind aerators, like a Classen Ta-26. To me a tow-behind is the lazy way out, and you get what you put into it - No muscle, no real aeration. Walk-behind aerators pull better plugs, they all do.

6. DLCS

....but are you going to walk large acreage lawns.

7. DLCS

The Turfvent Aerators are well built for the price. But you have to put quite a bit of weight on them to pull nice plugs. I have the 48" model Turfvent and was just curious if your lift system works with added weight too.

8. iluvscag

iluvscag LawnSite Senior Member

I like the L.T. Rich Aerators. :)

9. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

How bout some pictures where I can actually see what it is I'm looking at.

;)

10. gl1200a

gl1200a LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Topsites...I'm 50 yrs old with a bad back and have worked a very hard and profitable life so if I want to sit down to mow and aerate I think I can handle that without being called lazy. And as DLCS added I do only large acreages and don't have time to do 28" at a pass all day long. I actually retired at the age of 42 and do this for some exercise and to keep myself (part time) busy. You should get to know more about a person before you do any name calling. Oh sorry... I just read you quotes on your avatar. Now I understand your disability.

Also for DLCS this is the same exact actuator arm used on the Gator Rator with 600 lbs. rated force and that lifts the entire front of a ZTR off the ground for weight bias. If that fails I can move up to the 1200 lbs. arm for $99.00. I weigh 260 and it lifts me up and down with no trouble so we'll hope for the best!

My only problem is that it is so....s-l-o-w. The arm can go anywhere between 12 to 36 volts and I wonder if the arm would move at a faster pace if the voltage was up'ed. Now just to find someone smart enough to give me an answer and to tell me where to find a voltage inverter for a fair price. I looked online briefly and wasn't able to find an interter so far.