My buddy had his enclosed trailer with everything in it stolen the other night.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LawnMower, Nov 26, 2007.

1. LawnMower

LawnMower LawnSite Senior Member

I think there was an Ex mark and Lesco in there. Then there was all the trimmers and everything else that you carry along. Someone backed up to the trailer, and hitched it up the other night. The trailer wasn't parked at his house. It was near a main road at the garage he has. I guess you have to be careful where you park it at night. At least if the trailer is at your house, or near other peoples houses, someone would here some commotion out side.

I feel really bad for him, because that's got to be around $20,000 worth of stuff gone. How do you stay in business after that one?

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

That totally sucks. That is one bad thing about having an enclosed trailer. Even though it is a ready de storage facility, it is also a unit that is all loaded up and ready to go. Even with heavy duty locks, and trailers having been bolted and/or chained down, we have still seen on here where plenty of them get stolen. I hope something happens, and they catch a break in the case.

3. RedMax Man

RedMax Man LawnSite Platinum Member

Was it lettered?

4. shade tree landscaping

shade tree landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

as stupid as this may sound, ever think of putting a LO-JACK into an enclosed trailer? It def would be expensive to install, but with $20k of stuff inside it would be worth it. The LO-JACK would take the police rite to the stolen trailer.

5. Petr51488

Petr51488 LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

It helps to have insurance for these types of things.

6. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

First of all, for some type of monitoring system to work - it has to be powered.
    And you are correct, they are expensive.
    Regarding the loss, this is what insurance is for.

7. LawnMower

LawnMower LawnSite Senior Member

They found his trailer up in Pawtucket. That's about 30 miles away from Newport where we are. He lost the Exmark, but who knows it may turn up in Canada Or Sweden or something.

8. KathysLGC

KathysLGC LawnSite Bronze Member

Ins doesn't cover full value tho..... he is still at a loss.....

9. SpudsM15

SpudsM15 LawnSite Senior Member

That sucks man... I think my insurance has 500 deductable that covers all of the small equipment 2 cycle and hand tools.
    But for the mowers, trailer, and large stuff its 5 hundo each so it would hurt to have the trailer stolen... Insurance just makes it managable....

10. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

If someone stole my craftsman rider and ryobi stick I'd be livid.