1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

My Business Is Fried!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Charles, Jun 6, 2008.

1. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

March, April and May were above average work wise. Then it quit raining again in middle of May. Now we got a early heat wave scorching what little grass is left 95+ all week and now 100+ for this weekend and next week. Year after year same ol crud in SC. You just can't get ahead of the game with such sporadic rainfall and high temps:hammerhead:
  2. jameson

jameson LawnSite Fanatic
    from PNW

There must be a happy median somewhere between the constant deluge of wet we've been experiencing west of the Cascade Mtns. (and are yet forecasted to enjoy), and your intolerable heat wave . . . . wouldn't you think?

3. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

That stinks. Time to segway into irrigation installations? Good luck.
  4. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

You just need more Bahia Charles. The hotter and drier it gets, the more it seems to grow.
  5. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

You would think so. Must have something to do with the South Pacific Occilator which has been in the La Nina stage for about 10 years now. We have been getting less and less rain for that long according to the Corp of Engineers. This could last 10 to 20 years they say. This is not to be confused with the short term La Nina

They shoot people here who water:laugh:

Ya we do, because centipeed, zoysia and Bermude just keep going dormant and even recede. Crazy people who try to grow fescue--which is now a toasty brown
  6. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah no watering here...neighbors call police...big fines, meter locked and even jail time if you persist! You have to be really sneaky if you have to water. Irrigation system...yeah right...may as well sell the heads and controller on eBay and cap the lines. Irrigation business would be the last thing I would start around here!!
  7. Mike Blevins

Mike Blevins LawnSite Bronze Member

Same situation here. I have had a good spring but noticed yesterday that my lawns have gone from good to "crispy" and brown. We broke old record of 92 here yesterday with 94. Forecast for the next 7 days is mid 90s and 20% chance of rain per day. I can here it now " Mike you don't need to come and mow this week, its just been so dry" LOL. :dizzy: Glad I didn't buy that truck!
  8. lawnworker

lawnworker LawnSite Senior Member

Charles, It is really hot here in Bedford Va. I am sick of this business.
  9. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

This summer, err late spring has started off just like last summer ended. About two solid months of dry, hot weather. I think every lawn I do has a sprinkler system, but they are just keeping them alive. Most are putting on about two inches of growth a week, vs the normal 6" for June.

It's kind of been a mixed bag. We need rain, and need it bad. But I've saved a lot of money on gas cutting less dense lawns, not to mention had what amounts to a long vacation. When I say vacation, I don't mean not cutting like is happening for some of you. Just not the normal effort put into May through September. The downside is, if this becomes the norm, you are going to have people down here start pushing for bi-weekly cutting and wanting to pay half their current monthly bill.
  10. kleankutslawn

kleankutslawn LawnSite Bronze Member

i agree.i can count on my hand the amount of times it has rained in my area