1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

my business is on the brink of failure THANKS TO ASV!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Stroker, Aug 16, 2006.

1. Stroker

Stroker LawnSite Member

I have debated whether to even post this. The biggest part of my business is my 2006 ASV RC-100 with Loftness Carbide Cutter. The phone rings almost every day seeking my services. I have customers waiting as we speak to give me money for what I can do.. So WHY you may ask is my business on the brink of failure? It's kinda hard to make payments every month when the machine sits broken down WAY MORE than any machine should....

Lets look at this machines history...

March, 2006
    .. I take delivery of my new RC-100
    March,06 .. Second job I have, Hydraulics STOP WORKING COMPLETELY! Dealer picks up machine and it sits in shop for 2 days being fixed.
    March,06.. Brand New Battery dies out of nowhere. Jump it off, machine dies again. 1 day out of service while dealer delivered new battery.
    March 06.. Dealer installs NEW battery. That battery dies and will not hold charge. 1 day out of service while dealer gets new alternator.

April06.. High Flow hydraulics stop working. Machine is taken in by dealer to fix some kind of electrical glitch. 2 days out of service
    April 06.. More hydraulic problems. System won't maintain pressure or something. Machine can't even pick up cutting head. 1 or 2 days out of service while problem is fixed.

May 06.. Hydraulics AND Electrical again! Mechanics scratch their heads this time wondering what the problem is. Machine is out of service 1 1/2 weeks .. LUCKILY they had a loaner available after a couple of days.

June 06.. Same hydraulic fitting kept breaking. THIS MAY HAVE BEEN MY OWN FAULT THOUGH. Still a pain in the ass...

July 06.. A month where nothing happened... I was working on other things and and didn't use the machine as much.

August 06 Air Conditioner decides to break. Since machine is used with a Carbide Tree Cutter, AC is a MUST... 95 outside, 120 inside
    Machine has been at dealership since LAST TUESDAY. So we are going on over a week already. They say because they had to order parts, I "might" have the machine back by Friday. That will make almost 2 weeks out of service...

Just as my luck will have it. All lined up work is Carbide Cutter work. So I am sitting idle right now. My dealer, God Bless Them, I honestly feel they are doing everything they can. They offer me a free loaner whenever they have one. But an RC-100, enclosed cab is not a machine they always have on the lot. I have customers waiting to write me checks, yet I don't even know how Im gonna make my payments this month. Some customers are understanding when I have to call and tell them I am going to be a week or two later starting their job than originaly planned. Some are not. I lost an estimated $3800 worth of work in May and June from customers who got sick of waiting on me.
    This **** is driving me crazy. I just had to vent....
  2. Stroker

Stroker LawnSite Member

As I go back and read this. It is hard to comprehend the pain in the ass this machine has been. Some might say, "a couple days a month aint bad".. I dunno

I havent even listed all the 1/2 days this machine has cost me. Ofcourse nothing breaks at 5:30pm. When it decides to break its always at 11am or something. Or all the fuel having to haul it from a job to the dealer from 50+ miles away...

Be back later. Im gonna get a beer...
  3. jazak

jazak LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

So sell the ASV and get a CAT! :clapping:
  4. murray83

murray83 LawnSite Senior Member

buy a cat? lol,doesn't cat supply most parts for the ASV?
  5. jazak

jazak LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

Yeah but cat has better service and I think CAT only gives ASV the pilot contols.
  6. murray83

murray83 LawnSite Senior Member

i always thought asv took cat's design as a benchmark for their own.

you know today we rented a skid steer it was a jcb 1100T? i think its called tracked skidsteer. everyone disses jcb but i was impressed,its a sweet little machine and for kicks i took that machine to its limits since she was a rental and it did quite well,pilot controls were very nice and the layout was very operator friendly.
  7. xcopterdoc

xcopterdoc LawnSite Senior Member

They have ASV's lined up at the Deere dealer in Fayetteville NC... no one is buying them. Havent even seen one yet in the field.
  8. rutwad

rutwad LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

Stroker, really sorry to hear about all your problems. PM sent
  9. bobcat9957

bobcat9957 LawnSite Member

If you look at the earlier cat track skid steers they say ASV on the tracks. But alot of the parts are very similar. So i am not sure if CAT used more ASV or ASV used more CAT. Most of the cab is the same CAT key, controls, and gauges. But chances are the CAT dealer would have a loaner avalable most of the time.
  10. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

ASV designed the under carriage for the Cat skids.

Not the other way around.

I'm sorry to hear about your "lemon" stroker. It seems like everyone has been having bad luck with their machinery lately (QPS's 257 running like crap, Squizzy's 301.8 running like crap...wait, maybe its a cat thing :laugh: )

Is it too late to pull a lemon law on your dealer? Personally I think ASV makes great machines, and I have heard nothing but good about them, but there is always those machines made on friday.