My Business Plan For 09'

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Kennedy Landscaping, Oct 25, 2008.

1. Kennedy Landscaping

Kennedy Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Well guys I know it isn't perfect but it is alot better than I had before I believe. The main reason for doing this is was to make my parents work with me more I guess you could say. They always seem to be against everything, but this will hopefully help out alot.
    Kennedy Landscaping &Maintenance Business Plan For 2009 Season

What services will my business offer?
    Landscape Installation/Maintenance
    Lawn Renovation/Maintenance
    Spring Clean Ups
    Fall Clean Ups
    Bush/Hedge Trimming
    Snow Removal

How long will this last?
    I plan to remain in this business at least for the remainder of high school and then go from there.

How will I be competitive in the market?
    I will offer competitive pricing and top quality service

What challenges will I face?
    I will have limited hours of the day to work.
    I plan to grow my business as I am able and feel comfortable doing so.

What are main things that will need to be budgeted for?
    Equipment Repairs/Maintenance
    Equipment Rentals

How long will it be until I begin to make a profit?
    This year

What will be my operating expenses?
    Expansion as able

How will I make my business succeed?
    I will give each customer personal attention to specific needs
    Every phone call will be returned before the days end
    Every issue or concern will be addressed promptly

What is important to my business?
    Providing top quality service every time
    Providing a professional image at all times
    Keeping all equipment maintained and in top running condition

What do my customers want?
    A top quality job at a competitive price
    Someone who shows up on time
    Someone who is both professional and dedicated

Equipment that is already available
    46” Husqvarna Tractor Mower
    36” Gravely Walk Behind Mower
    22” Toro Push Mower
    21” Toro Push Mower
    19” Cub-Cadet Push Mower
    Husqvarna Trimmer
    Ryobi Trimmer
    Poulan Pro Blower
    Craftsman Blower
    Ryobi Tiller
    Misc. Hand Tools

What equipment purchases do I plan to make?
    Back Pack Blower= $3-500
    14’ Equipment Trailer=$800-1,000
    Landscape Box For Trailer=$1-200
    Quality Hand Tools=*****

Equipment improvements
    Truck Windows Tinted Over Winter=$150-200
    Back Window Of Truck Lettered=****

Where will I store my equipment?
    I will store my things in the garage for the time being.
    My goal is to find a shop over the winter
    How will I advertise and promote my business?
    Ads in the shoppers guide
    Business Cards
    Business Flyers
    Truck and Trailer Lettering
    Word Of Mouth

Comments and advice is much appreciated,please little or no bashing!
  2. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

Too wordy...

My business plan: stay in business, get as big as possible, and make as much money as possible.
  3. J & D Greens

J & D Greens LawnSite Senior Member

My plan is to stay lean (expenses wise) and out of dept in 09 while growing in a pace that I will be able to handle.
  4. Ooomwizard

Ooomwizard LawnSite Senior Member
    from atlanta

Keep it simple. Key to business is sales. Quote; "nothing happens till somebody makes a sale."

I keep my focus on client acquisition and retention. I price proposals and contracts to return a profit. Figure out your costs and figure in a good margin. As you've mentioned don't forget to add in your advertising and other non-direct (future purchases and equip maint) and operating costs. Add these into your costs into quotes as well and still allow a good profit margin for you to live on. Let non-profitable accounts or low bids go.

My example: direct job costs (materials, labor, supplies, etc.) X 2.5 is a good multiplier. It's a easy formula for me and usually accounts for all expenses, paying myself and making for a reasonable quote.

All the inquiry posts on "what to bid" can be as simple as this.

Looks like you've got it covered but bury yourself to much in the details. Get the customers and you'll grow well.

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

yea i agree its very wordy
  6. MileHigh

MileHigh LawnSite Silver Member

What I learned in this biz this year that if you want to be real profitable...

You Must Offer As Many Services As Possible!

You would not believe the amount of work that can be had if you offer much more than just mowing. And I see that in your plan. Why would a customer want to keep you when you can't fufill all of there lawn needs. When the next company can handle there mowing, to there spraying, to there installs, to there blowouts, to there plowing. etc

My biggest goal is to achieve a Pesticide Applicators License, and start spraying like a madman. I've had to turn down so much work due to not having this license.

High School still huh? If your serious about lawn service/snow removal, you don't really need a diploma...I'm not telling you to drop out, just think about all the time you will be able to throw into you business. Get a G.E.D.

^^^I know some people are gonna rag on me for that, but it's what I truly believe. My time spent in high school was a waste. Drugs, Alcohol, Girls, Bad Associations. I dropped out asap, and got my ged, my parents in full support at the time.

Good Luck Lawn Freak...Sounds like you got your head on straight to me.
  7. LouisianaLawnboy

LouisianaLawnboy LawnSite Silver Member

NO WAY BladeScape.

Stay in HS! What happens if you have to stop cutting grass? A GED is not the equivalent of a Diploma. Its just not!
  8. Lucky Star Lawn Care

Lucky Star Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Too busy... but that might be good for your parents backing. But for yourself just write down a couple quick notes and put them somewhere you will see them everyday. Maybe not a plan but goals. Just a thought... $200 for fuel a month would be awesome! And there are a lot more challenges you could list.

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

I don't get it...some of you high school guys act like you're broke unless you're making 5 grand a month part time. When I was in high school I made $3.35 an hour, was lucky to get 20 hours a week, and that was it. If I had had 5 steady lawns to cut at $30 a pop, I would have been thrilled with it.

No way would my parents have ever let me dedicate every non-school moment to working. Your parents are probably feeling the same way.

If I had dropped out to cut grass, my ass would have been kicked all over the house. If any of MY kids were to try this, I'd kick some sense into them too.

Not to knock anyone's work ethic and motivation but keep things in perspective while you're a kid still.
  10. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

Here's what I would do if you are serious.

Contact your local SBA, and they'll give you the direction to go to get local help for making a "true" business plan. There is no such thing as a "Wordy" business plan. A good plan should be a minimum of 3 pages with demographics, local market value, planned growth, etc.........

My first Biz plan was 3 pages, my updated one is 7 and I'm not finished yet.

What this does is that it shows your parents you are serious about what you do and you will also have a legitimate business plan you can present to your banker when you feel you need financing. Do it right and you won't have to ask for your parents help.

In the summer, I would talk to your local JC and try to take a business class. Any extra education along with a high school diploma will make you more successful in the long run.

I'm not saying you should go to college and get a degree in hort or biz, but you should always want to learn more about your biz and how to make it run better.

Besides, the more you know about what you are doing the better your clients will be informed.